Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ethyl Propanoate Soapification Problem
reactofurnace
Hazard to Self

Mood: Volatile

shocked.gif posted on 17-7-2015 at 08:08
Ethyl Propanoate Soapification Problem

So Like any soapification reaction i measured an amount sodium hydroxide solution and the ester(ethyl propanoate) then i began a reflux for 35 minutes. Then i refluxed for 1 hour MORE because the ethyl propanoate was not reacting. Final hour the total time of 2 hours and 25 mins the ethyl propanoate had kinda react. i could tell that the react had some progress because at one point i smelt the rancid smell of propanoic acid evolving.

Can anyone explain why this happened
P.S. the same reaction was perform with methyl acetate and was successful in just 20mins.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3gqx2zhUyLdeGIAFyiwPYg

Snapshot 2 (7-17-2015 9-06 AM).png - 183kBSnapshot 1 (7-17-2015 9-06 AM).png - 172kB
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-7-2015 at 09:50

I suspect a fair bit of your problem is that the reaction is biphasic. In the case of methyl acetate, it has relatively good aqueous solubility and so the saponification proceeds relatively quickly.

I have two suggestions for you; either use (more vigorous) stirring, or employ a co-solvent (ethanol is a good choice as it facilitates recovery of the alcohol product, but if you're only after the propionate then you could use methanol or THF).

You should not be able to smell propionic acid as that would indicate a deficit of hydroxide; I'd suggest using 3 to 5 eq. NaOH as (6 M aqueous solution).

Go To Top