Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A Basic Organic Chemistry Library
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-8-2015 at 19:54
A Basic Organic Chemistry Library

Some Basic Books for the Organic Chemistry Hobbyist and Serious Student

Over time as I read various postings in the Organic Chemistry Forum I note that there are many questions asked that could be easily answered if a few basic reference sources were at hand. Moreover, having some basic texts readily available (in print, not virtual) is a source of ideas and information that might not otherwise be readily obvious. I know that many posters here refer to Vogel which is a good source of basic information but it should not be relied on as the only source. Having a few more specialized books allows considerable advancement beyond the basic information in a text such as Vogel. Following are some of the books that I would recommend that any serious practitioner of organic chemistry seriously consider purchasing.

1. Advanced Organic Chemistry by J March. This text is filled with useful references and excellent commentary on much of the field.
2. Reagents for Organic Synthesis, Fieser and Fieser. Although there are many volumes in this series, Volume 1 will provide much basic information for the home-based chemist and therefore should be seriously considered.
3. The Merck Index. Any one of the last two or three editions will serve as a valuable reference source for many aspects of organic chemistry.
4. Semimicro Qualitative Organic Analysis, Cheronis, Entrikin, and Hodnett. Since no one I know has analytical instrumentation in a home lab (there are some I am sure), the next best thing is a good book on qualitative analysis since analyzing the output of our reactions is of paramount importance. There are many good books on the subject, but this is one of the best that I have come across. It covers everything in detail.
5. Organic Syntheses Reaction Guide by Liotta and Volmer. Many of us rely on the electronic form of Organic Syntheses but may find it hard to actually search this valuable reference without, say, access to ChemDraw. This book provides a graphical, reaction-type index to Collective Volumes 1-7 and annual Vols 65-68. It is a hard book to find used but worth the effort.
6. Organic Syntheses Cumulative Index to Collective Vols 1-5. This book would be an alternative to the Reaction Guide listed above but in my opinion somewhat less useful.
7. Organic Functional Group Preparations Vol 1-3, Sandler and Karo. These books pack a lot of valuable practical and technical information. Though not front-line essential, they will make a nice addition to a synthesis oriented library.

Overall, the books are listed in the order of importance based on my experience. I am sure that others on this forum can add equally good books to this list and expand it further. As for obtaining these volumes, I have found most of mine on the ABE Books site and a few others on Amazon, all at excellent prices.

I hope that some will find this useful.

AvB
ELRIC
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2015 at 20:04

yes, abe books is a very good source. Thats where i purchased my vogel from

very reasonable prices.
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 18-8-2015 at 21:05

Some one recently recommended "Electron Flow in Organic Chemistry" so I picked up a copy. I haven't delved too deeply iton it yet, but looks very impressive. Tells you exactly why stuff works. Good to know :-}
ELRIC
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-8-2015 at 06:07

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  
Some one recently recommended "Electron Flow in Organic Chemistry" so I picked up a copy. I haven't delved too deeply iton it yet, but looks very impressive. Tells you exactly why stuff works. Good to know :-}[/rquote

Can you enlighten me with an author and edition? That sounds like it would be of great help, at least to me anyway.
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 19-8-2015 at 06:16

Quote: Originally posted by ELRIC  
Quote: Originally posted by careysub  
Some one recently recommended "Electron Flow in Organic Chemistry" so I picked up a copy. I haven't delved too deeply iton it yet, but looks very impressive. Tells you exactly why stuff works. Good to know :-}

Can you enlighten me with an author and edition? That sounds like it would be of great help, at least to me anyway.

Paul H Scudder
ISBN-13: 978-0471613817
ISBN-10: 0471613819

Giving the exact title is enough though to easily locate the specific book, simply copy my title with quotes and paste into the search engine of your choice (or the Bookfinder site, or BetterWorld Books, or ....).

BTW: Thanks to AvBaeyer for starting this thread, I have picked up several of his recommendations above now.

[Edited on 19-8-2015 by careysub]
Tungsten.Chromium
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-8-2015 at 20:50

Might want to add the organic chem lab survival manual by Zubrick, its been a great help for me since the beginning and I'm still learning new things out of it

Prosit!

Go To Top