Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mesembrine and naturally related compounds
Amateurpharmacologist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-9-2015 at 06:28
Mesembrine and naturally related compounds

Kanna or Sceletium Tortuosum contains in it at least two interesting psychoactive compounds. Both possessing abilities to act on the serotonin receptors. Mesembine and Mesembrenone. Tortuosamine also has been deemed psychoactive but there is not as much information on that. I have ingested the fermented root and have had sublingual administration of an high quality extract not commonly and readily available. My intention on beginning this topic here is to expand knowledge of this plant and to discuss any developments published in the past as well as some anyone would like to contribute either through their own experiments or from literature. Thank you all!
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 14-9-2015 at 13:50

What ?

You want to get spaced out on Sceletium tortuosum extracts ?

Use a Soxhlet and some ethanol. Usually works for such things.

Jan van Riebeeck just chewed the plant and got high as a kite, so think alpha amylase.

Personally i perfer Beer !

Beer has helped ugly people have sex since 1492.

Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-9-2015 at 18:42

Oddly, I was bouncing around looking at static electricity videos today on youtube and happened upon this somehow. I see now it was a video where static electricity was purported to relieve minor aches and pains from the same doctor who touts this. Small world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixE-ntj8oSk

According to this site ...
"ZembrinĀ® has self-affirmed Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) status in USA."
http://www.zembrin.com/

And some random testimonial I ran across.

"So, conclusions."
[1. Wikipedia lists Kanna as ~0.5% mesembrine, so 40mg mesembrine is equivalent to 80g of Kanna - an unusually large amount. I should do the math beforehand.
2. The closest analogy that I can think of for this experience is a caffeine overdose - that unnecessary anxious feeling that 'something is wrong', coupled with mild body aches. At low doses mesembrine removes anxiety, whereas at high doses it increases it in a fashion similar to caffeine.
3. Depending on your interpretation, the experience might suggest that mesembrine is absorbed very quickly by the stomach: I noticed distinct alterations immediately after both times I consumed it. However, it's also possible that the first alteration was a placebo, and the second alteration was the coincidental come-on of the first dose, which would suggest that the come-on time for oral mesembrine is ~45min. I don't know how to distinguish which of these (if either) are correct.
4. Small doses of mesembrine are enjoyable. Large ones ain't. I'll remember that. ]
https://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=68898

[Edited on 15-9-2015 by Morgan]
Amateurpharmacologist
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-9-2015 at 10:37

Thanks for the reply guys, Mr. Drunk thank you for allowing me to become re-acquainted with the very useful soxhlet, I'll have to purchase one unfortunately. Morgan thanks for the info. I'll post any personal discovers here when I've undergone sceletium toruosum experimentation!

Happy precipitate trails!
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 22-9-2015 at 10:59

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171444366775?_trksid=p2057872.m274...

Ridiculosly cheap, and very good indeed.

Go To Top