Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to use a sulfuric acid stripping cell to deplate gold plated jewelry VIDEO
kadriver
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 01:33
How to use a sulfuric acid stripping cell to deplate gold plated jewelry VIDEO

Here is part 1 of 2 showing how to construct and operate a sulfuric acid stripping cell to reverse-plate gold off of gold plated jewelry and other gold plated items.

Part 2 will be a few days away because I am going to try to deplate 10 pounds of gold plated scrap jewelry to see what kind of yield it produces.

https://youtu.be/WgprlL-wmCk

Any comments and critique welcomed.

kadriver
kadriver
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-9-2015 at 15:24

Here is part two;

https://youtu.be/yb6xPB6IHGA

kadriver
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-9-2015 at 16:32

i almost cringe at the amount of sulfuric acid used because it was nowhere to be found in my spooked town for years.i dissolved a 1gram gold bar of gold with assay card and number.when i added the smb i noticed a light blue tint and was kinda dissapointed.the following morning the solution was crystal clear and all the gold dust settled at the bottom.i had the solution in a flask after the decanted it and scooped out the gold.today 2weeks later i still have the clear solution which is now blackened again with particles and the blue tint has returned.this gold was from 2nd market ebayer and i recovered too much gold for it to be plated. i have separated gold from karated rings and the recovered gold never tinted the solution blue.i also recall using this gold bar as an cathode for plating and now all my plated stuff comes out rose gold when i use my platinum mesh as cathode.i hope i plate out all the copper before i deplete my gold.of course you did a great video too.again!

[Edited on 9-23-2015 by cyanureeves]
kadriver
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-10-2015 at 21:03

Quote: Originally posted by cyanureeves  

i had the solution in a flask after the decanted it and scooped out the gold.today 2weeks later i still have the clear solution which is now blackened again with particles and the blue tint has returned.this gold was from 2nd market ebayer and i recovered too much gold for it to be plated.

I always add ALL my gold refining waste to my "stock pot". The stock pot is full of pieces of copper. Any traces of gold or platinum group metals in the gold refining waste will "cement" out onto the copper as a black powder. I bubble air through it to promote the reaction, then decant the barren liquid to my waste treatment bucket that is charged with pieces of iron. The copper cements out onto the iron and the copper powder is then added back to my stock pot to cement out more traces of precious metals.

Please see the video;

https://youtu.be/P86Ch6w2V7I

kadriver

Go To Top