Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Synthesizing propylene carbonate
m1tanker78
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-10-2015 at 18:22

Quote: Originally posted by Upsilon  
Wait, dimethyl sulfoxide is marked as polar and aprotic, and is readily available for quite cheap. Is there a reason this isn't used?

For alkali metal production? Unfortunately this doesn't work. I've tried and another member (bromic_acid IIRC) has tried and reported failure. A reaction can be observed just dropping a piece of sodium or potassium into DMSO.

I came close to attempting synthesis of ethylene carbonate by reacting ethylene oxide with CO2. I set everything up for a small scale and then chickened out and aborted. Ethylene oxide is nasty and extremely flammable and/or explosive. No thanks!

Chemical CURIOSITY KILLED THE CATalyst.
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2015 at 18:26

Well I'm not going to give up on making PC. I need to know what exactly is responsible for tar formation - is it due to reaction with the air? Improperly calcinated ZnO? Both? I am willing to build a crude vacuum apparatus from PVC pipe if needed (it would just be a cylinder, NOT a distillation apparatus), but will ammonia gas be harmful to an electric vacuum pump? For separating the PC from unreacted PG I am going to try electrolysis of alkali salts in it to react with the PG.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top