Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lead sulfate and NH4CH3COO
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 19:20
Lead sulfate and NH4CH3COO

How does ammonium acetate dissolve lead sulfate? The only thing that makes sense is that acetate would complex with it.

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 19:59

lead sulfate --> lead ammonium sulfate --> lead ammonium acetate?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 20:13

Do double salts increase solubility? I've seen them decrease solubilities.

I don't know much about the chemistry of double or triple salts, they seem really interesting. I saw an example of K2CuPb(NO2)6 precipitating and that got me wondering about how they work.

Edit:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~jpbirk/qual/qualanal/lead.html

PbSO4(s) + 2CH3CO2-(aq) <==> Pb(CH3CO2)2(aq) + SO42-(aq)

Does this mean lead acetate is a covalent molecule? Lead is has a high electronegativity for a metal so it would probably be a covalent complex which is soluble.

[Edited on 8/4/2006 by guy]

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 20:33

>Do double salts increase solubility? I've seen them decrease solubilities.
A prominent case is NiSO4 and K2SO4, both are reasonably soluble, and the double salt precipitates if you mix saturated solutions of both. There are many other examples.
Increased solubility - why would that be conceptually impossible? I don't recall examples but I dont see why not. Ammonium ions are very well capable of solubilising ions. Didnt you do this experiment of Cu solubilisation in the presence of ammonia/ammonium sulfate and O2 yourself, while this doesnt work well without ammonia? I think it's a similar principle.

The principle of double salts is easy once you get your head around it.

Just think of the divalent anion SO4(2-) as a bridge.

So you essentially get in the case of Ni-K sulphate:

K-Ni-SO4-Ni-K

or in the case of potassium alum

K-SO4-Al=SO4

This is why they have properties, their are essentially ionic mixes with different connectivities.

In the case of the lead salts - you could even see mixed ionic 'polymers' forming...however, they arent double salts, they are complexed salts, which is a different thing.
On the covalent character of lead acetate - I seem to remember something on it, it may well be so partially, facilitating its absorption through the skin, making it toxic in particular. But I could be wrong on this, I couldnt find anything on it.

[Edited on 4-8-2006 by chemoleo]

guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 20:42

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo

Increased solubility - why would that be conceptionally impossible? I don't recall examples but I dont see why not. Ammonium ions are very well capable of solubilising ions. Didnt you do this experiment of Cu solubilisation in the presence of ammonia and O2 yourself, while this doesnt work fast without ammonia? I think it's a similar principle.

That was because NH3 (ammonia not ammonium) complexed with the Cu(OH)2 and the OH- reacted with (NH4)2SO4 to form more NH3. Without it the Cu(OH)2 would be stuck cover the rest of the copper and form a protective layer.

~~~~
I think my first question should have been why do ACETATE ions dissolve PbSO4 (the ammonium part was unnecessary).

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 20:50

Try this with Na acetate and PbSO4 and see if it works. I bet if it is freshly preciptiated PbSO4, you'll have a small amount of PbSO4 dissolving to form PbAc2.
It likely is an equilibrium issue where you have a certain fraction of Na2SO4 and PbAc2 together with PbSO4 and NaAc. My guess is that the NH3 in NH4Ac helps solubilising the PbSO4 through complexation, thereby shifting the equilibrium.

guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 21:02

NH3 doesn't complex with Pb2+ as far as I know, if so adding NH3 would dissolve it. Here is my hypothesis:

NH4OAc <---> NH3 + HOAc .............(1)fairly to the right

NH3 + H2O <---> NH4+ OH-.............(2)small but will shift as being used up

2OH- + PbSO4 ---> Pb(OH)2..............(3)Pb(OH)2 is less soluble than PbSO4 so it shifts right

2HOAc + Pb(OH)2 ---> Pb2+ + 2OAc- + 2H2O......(4)Acid base reaction so stays to right

Pb2+ + SO42- ----> PbSO4..........(5)Also large K
~~~~~~~~~~~
BUT there seems to be a paradox since reaction 5 and 4 compete with each other. I think that the 4th one wins because K of 3 is bigger than 5.

[Edited on 8/4/2006 by guy]

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 21:04

I can't resist this opportunity to show off the double salt I just made: Rochelle salt (KNa tartrate*4H2O) - photo attached. It is made by dissolving Cream of Tartar (KH tartrate) in water, then adding washing soda (Na2CO3) until CO2 evolution stops. What amazed me was that a large crystal (~1/2 cm on a side) had formed within 2 hours! This is the first time I have grown any crystals since I was a child.

The solublizing of PbSO4 via NH4CH3COO seems like it could work by NH3 complexing with Pb++. Even though PbSO4 is insoluble there are going to be some Pb++ and SO4-- ions available. If they are complexed they are removed from the Ksp equilibrium, so more PbSO4 will dissolve. This could continue until all the PbSO4 is dissolved. This is just my speculation on the mechanism - I don't really know.

Rochelle salt.jpg - 472kB

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 21:59

Those are some beautiful crystals, Magpie. A favorite of mine is calcium tartrate, made by combining solutions of calcium chloride and rochelle salt. The solubility is quite low, but for some reason it takes considerable time for the pretty little needles to form. Then those needles can be ground while still wet with oxalic acid to put pure tartaric acid in solution, which forms some beautiful crystalline patterns of its own when evaporated down.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 22:08

Just to give a little additional data

NH4Cl will also solubilize lead sulfate

Ammonium salts will solubilize CaSO4, and prevent chromate from precipitating Ca and Sr.

Zinc can be prevented from precipitating by ammonium salts.

NH3 (aq) will complex with Cu, Cd, and Zn (all 2+ state), but not Bi(III)

Go To Top