Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chloroform to other chloromethyl compounds
DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-10-2015 at 21:07
Chloroform to other chloromethyl compounds

Is it possible to use chloroform to make dichloromethane? I know chloroform can be synthesised via the bleach method. But I know chloroform has potential side effect if inhaled. I'm only interested in it because it's a non-polar solvent.

Elements Collected: 19/81 (Excluding all radioactive, using placecard for those)

Any tips or good sources are welcome.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 06:04

Is it possible? *yes* Is it worthwhile doing? No. The only real way to accomplish this will be free radical dechlorination, see DOI:10.1016/S0022-1139(96)03504-X for an example. You will get a mixture of chlorinated products which will be difficult to separate, and all to get dichloromethane, a solvent which is significantly cheaper than chloroform in the first place. I would distill paint stripper long before I would attempt this. If you don't have any paint strippers which contain DCM in your area, I would synthesize diethyl ether from ethanol and substitute that for DCM.

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 11:41

Quote: Originally posted by DalisAndy  
Is it possible to use chloroform to make dichloromethane? I know chloroform can be synthesised via the bleach method. But I know chloroform has potential side effect if inhaled. I'm only interested in it because it's a non-polar solvent.

There are also "potential side effects" to inhalation of dichloromethane as well as most other organic solvents. And in any instance that you would substitute dichloromethane for chloroform, you'd likely accidentally inhale much more DCM than chloroform, given its lower boiling point and higher vapor pressure.

DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 21:05

Ah thank you. I want something that can't conduct but is still a solvent. Thank you so much

Elements Collected: 19/81 (Excluding all radioactive, using placecard for those)

Any tips or good sources are welcome.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 21:11

DCM from paint stripper is a very straightforward distillation. It is a good one to cut your teeth on if you are new to the distillation process. The source material is cheap and OTC and everything behaves well.
(A whole lot easier than trying to convert your chloroform.)
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 23:20

DalisAndy, relax and use chloroform. I see no reason to use dichloromethane, probably restrictions on chloroform were imposed because some people used to huff it.
Chloroform is slightly less polar than dcm, solubility of chloroform in water is 0.8%, solubility of DCM in water is 1.3%. SO basically it's the same shit.

Go To Top