Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trimethyl borate
DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-10-2015 at 12:03
Trimethyl borate

Does anyone know if Trimethyl borate is soluble in ethanol? I can't find any info on its solubility except in water. Reason why I'm asking is cause I was going to use denatured alcohol for my methanol source.

Elements Collected: 19/81 (Excluding all radioactive, using placecard for those)

Any tips or good sources are welcome.
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 13-10-2015 at 12:28

If I remember correctly, only lower alcohols (methanol and ethanol) are capable of reacting with boric acid to form either trimethyl or triethyl borate respectively.

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-10-2015 at 12:35

I just mixed some boric acid and isopropyl alcohol together with a drop of H2SO4. The product burned with a typical bluish/orange flame, not the characteristic green flame. Heet gas line antifreeze (methanol) has the best results, but I believe that the less used denatured ethanol would provide similar results to those of trimethyl borate.

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-10-2015 at 12:58

But would trimethyl borate dissolve in ethonal?

Elements Collected: 19/81 (Excluding all radioactive, using placecard for those)

Any tips or good sources are welcome.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 13-10-2015 at 13:01

The excess carbon in ethanol disturbs the green flame- Use methanol for the best results with any alcohol flame colorant except Sodium.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Detonationology
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-10-2015 at 13:10

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Use methanol for the best results with any alcohol flame colorant except Sodium.

Should ethanol be used if a sodium compound is being used? What about the case of using sodium tetraborate as the source of boron?

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 13-10-2015 at 13:15

https://books.google.com/books?id=TjhHAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA323&...

[Edited on 13-10-2015 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
13-10-2015 at 13:16
UC235
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2015 at 13:37

Yes, trimethyl borate is probably miscible with ethanol. Transesterification will almost surely occur to mixed methy, ethyl borates but this shouldn't change the flame color since it is atomic boron produced in the flame that emits green.

Methanol burns with a clean blue flame while alcohols like ethanol and isopropanol require a lot more oxygen to burn completely. The resulting flames are usually partly or completely yellow due to emission from carbon radicals and soot particles.

Borax is useless as a source of boron for flame coloring since the yellow sodium emission band is extremely intense and will cover most other flame test colors completely.
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-10-2015 at 13:47

Quote: Originally posted by UC235  
Borax is useless as a source of boron for flame coloring since the yellow sodium emission band is extremely intense and will cover most other flame test colors completely.

In my earlier years of chemistry, I had no idea what would happen if I mixed some of my methanol camp stove fuel with borax. I was quite surprised to see a beautiful GREEN flame. Try it. I have some pictures of it, if I could figure out how to post them on here.

[Edited on 10-13-2015 by Detonationology]

Detonationology
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-10-2015 at 20:23

Here is crude trimethyl borate (I'm assuming) made from methanol and sodium tetraborate decahydrate. The sodium does not exhibit much of a yellow/orange tone at all.

IMG_0048.jpg - 394kBIMG_0062.jpg - 85kB

Go To Top