Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tap water
DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 16:23
Tap water

Is it ok, for general reaction, if the water use as a solvent contains high levels of phosphate? I was going to make some trimethyl borate so yeah

Elements Collected: 19/81 (Excluding all radioactive, using placecard for those)

Any tips or good sources are welcome.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 16:27

Spend the few cents extra for distilled or deionized water. Especially if you KNOW your tap water is not especially pure-

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 18:20

Quote: Originally posted by DalisAndy  
Is it ok, for general reaction, if the water use as a solvent contains high levels of phosphate? I was going to make some trimethyl borate so yeah

What do you need water for? To recrystalize the H3BO3?

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 18:54

No, as a solvent for the reaction. My methonal is 99% pure so I will have to add water. Won't I?

Elements Collected: 19/81 (Excluding all radioactive, using placecard for those)

Detonationology
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 19:11

No solvent is needed, the reaction is not aqueous. Only double replacement reactions take place in solution. Alcohols do not form ions in water, so therefore the reaction is considered a synthesis. In order to consider your final product pure, the ester will need to be separated from the water byproduct via fractional distillation. In the case of trimethyl borate, the product is ~2:1 ratio of B(OCH3)3 to water by volume, and 1:3 mole ratio.

[Edited on 10-22-2015 by Detonationology]

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 19:32

Wouldn't it be easier to heat the reaction? It would allow the water to vaporize off. Or I could use a drying agent. I don't have any way of doing any distillation. I have minimal equipment

Detonationology
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 19:43

A molecular sieve seems to be the most viable option for desiccate the final product. These threads should be merged with the other existing alcohol/borate synthesis'.

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 22-10-2015 at 06:11

Quote: Originally posted by DalisAndy  
Wouldn't it be easier to heat the reaction? It would allow the water to vaporize off. Or I could use a drying agent. I don't have any way of doing any distillation. I have minimal equipment

The synthesis of trimethyl borate is a condensation, or more correctly an esterification reaction. Water is produced as a byproduct in the reaction, and due to the reaction equilibrium, any unnecessary water present will only serve to convert the products back to the starting materials, reducing your yield.

If you don't have any method of doing distillation, then you're probably not able to do reflux, either. Making the borate ester of methanol usually uses excess methanol as a solvent, boric acid, and a substantial quantity of sulfuric acid as a catalyst and water-sequestering agent. Reflux is then carried out for a period of time and the trimethyl borate and excess methanol can be distilled off.

If you don't follow the procedure properly and just skip the reflux and distillation altogether, you're going to end up with a somewhat viscous and highly corrosive(due to sulfuric acid) liquid containing some trimethyl borate. It will probably burn with a weak green flame and leave a puddle of very troublesome sulfuric acid behind. It may even give off some toxic and corrosive sulfur oxides as it burns! Fun times. You could always just dump some roach killer into HEET and see if that burns green, but at that point why even bother calling it chemistry?

Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 22-10-2015 at 06:24

Simply dissolving boric acid in methanol produces a solution that will burn green. No sulfuric acid is needed.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 22-10-2015 at 06:25

Quote: Originally posted by Cheddite Cheese  
Simply dissolving boric acid in methanol produces a solution that will burn green. No sulfuric acid is needed.

There you go. No chemistry needed.

DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-10-2015 at 06:39

I'm not going for the pyrotechnics. I'm doing Spirit Lantern Pumpkins

Go To Top