Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ghettoing a 3 necked flask/ vacuum setup
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 21:01
ghettoing a 3 necked flask/ vacuum setup

Any advice on making a 3 necked flask or a substitute?

What about a distillation setup/ 3 necked flask that can withstand vacuumm?
UC235
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 22:11

Buy one or use a Claisen adapter on a 2-neck flask. The adapter tends to have disadvantages though, like increased reflux surface which is a big problem for steam distillations and high boiling points.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 00:31

The word "ghetto" and "vacuum" shouldn't really be in the same sentence. When putting things under vacuum always use proper glassware unless you want glass shrapnel all over and INSIDE you...
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pretty much all of them!

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 02:00

^ I second that. I've seen vacuum implosions followed by explosions and would definitely not like to be near one.

It would seem much better to spend the <$100 for a proper distillation setup with a 3-necked flask and vacuum take-off.

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.
alking
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 13:25

Not to mention you're looking to spend more to make such a creation, which will likely fail, than you would just buying a cheap distillation kit. You might spend 100$ on a kit and only invest 60$ to make something yourself, but then you're going to spend 3 days and 150$ more fixing all the issues you've discovered in the process only to have it implode when you actually use it. Don't do this. You want to make a simple distillation setup? Ok, you can do that with a couple of pots and pans even, but an air tight vacuum setup? No. Don't waste your time.

edit: Shoot, just noticed how old this post is, I thought I was on the front page. Must have gotten lost.

[Edited on 20-3-2016 by alking]

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 13:39

spend $130US, wait 10 days and order from China. Get the WHOLE kit--1000, 500, 250ml flasks, claisen, liebig, vigreux, sep funnel....

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 14:20

Er ... yep.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 14:35

Why vacuum distill out of a 3-necked flask?
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 14:37

So you can suck in air from one of the unstopper'd necks !

Genius arrangement.

I think i'll Patent it.

Edit:

Success ! I got the Patent.

Henceforth, anyone sucking in air using any material has to pay me $5 each time.

Yes, that includes lungs.

Stop breathing or pay up.

Paypal is fine. Cash better.

Somebody better start a Charity to pay for the animals or my patent lawyer will be on their ass(es).

Lawyers are like that.

[Edited on 20-3-2016 by aga]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 14:41

Oh I guess that makes sense. I usually just use magnetic stirring instead of a gas inlet....
alking
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 15:20

How does a gas inlet replace a magnetic stirrer? I can't see much use for a gas inlet of this form anyway, I'd be worried about the distillate coming out without very careful controls of the vacuum pump or heat source, unless it's a very strong vacuum pump maybe in which case I'd then be worried about solvent being sucked out of the receiving flask haha. If you need to feed air into the distillation flask get an air pump and a gas inlet adaptor, cheaper, easier, and not a health hazard.

Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 21:57

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
spend $130US, wait 10 days and order from China. Get the WHOLE kit--1000, 500, 250ml flasks, claisen, liebig, vigreux, sep funnel....

Ohh... I seem to see which one... The one that arrived at my place with the 3 necked 1L RBF broken to a thousand pièces and the vacum adapter broken aswell.

Still haggling with them because 2 x 250ml Bomax FBF sent instead wont calm me down :-/
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 21-3-2016 at 06:59

Dunno which chinamen YOU deal with, but I've bought from Deschem and Sam100086 with EXCELLENT service, AND quick replacement of the 250ml sep funnel that arrived broken. Emailed "Sam" a pic and boom, replaced NO CHARGE.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-3-2016 at 09:08

Same here. Every order i made for glassware from china has been great.

Problems (maybe 3 out of 10s of orders) resolved as fast as shipping allowed.

I once bought some conical flasks from a US mob called 'carter scientific' off ebay.
They were cheap, so i wasn't expecting perfection.

On arrival i left 100% feedback without opening the box - big mistake.

The unbroken flasks were clearly discarded by the manufacturer due to quality issues, such as bent necks or non-round openings.

The seller did not give a toss: said "it's cheap crap, why complain ?" or words to that effect.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 21-3-2016 at 09:30

Karter? In Louisiana? Bought a bunch from them, too, no problems.

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 21-3-2016 at 16:07

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
The word "ghetto" and "vacuum" shouldn't really be in the same sentence. When putting things under vacuum always use proper glassware unless you want glass shrapnel all over and INSIDE you...

Well said. Please don't fuck around with vacuum unless a) you have read all the relevant theory and procedures and b) have the proper equipment. I hate reading about avoidable injuries, especially ones with eyesight impairment.
One other thing: please don't make verbs out of nouns when perfectly good English phrases apply. "Calandering.." Photoshopping.." "Gifting.." these are ugly, unnecessary, lazy and ignorant sounding misuses of language. Chemists should be especially careful about word choices as a misuse could lead to misunderstanding and misunderstanding in chemistry can be fatal. Or should I have said "misunderstandering could fatalize..?"

[Edited on 22-3-2016 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top