Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Two FREE tools you probably didn't even know you had!
Diachrynic
Hazard to Others

Mood: zenosyne

[*] posted on 1-10-2017 at 02:54
Make chemistry equations look different with Unicode

I made a small program (23 KB) to make chemical equations somewhat look better.

It turns this:

2MnO4 - + SO3 2- + 2OH- --> 2MnO4 2- + SO4 2- + H2O

into this:

2MnO₄⁻ + SO₃²⁻ + 2OH⁻ → 2MnO₄²⁻ + SO₄²⁻ + H₂O

by using a bunch of RegEx and Unicode. (Had to increase size a bit 'cause it was kind of small.)

If anyone wants to try it out, here is a download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/aesa60r6c2w4e41/ChemistryInlin... (Just in case if the upload here does not work.)

If anyone wants to extend it, here is the important part of the source code (language is VB):

Code:
Private Sub Convert() Dim Str1 As String = TextBox1.Text Str1 = " " + Str1.TrimEnd(" ") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "[<]+[-‒–—―=]*[>]+", "↔") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "[-‒–—―=]*[>]+", "→") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "(?<!\s\d*)0(?!\d*[+-]+)", "₀") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "(?<!\s\d*)1(?!\d*[+-]+)", "₁") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "(?<!\s\d*)2(?!\d*[+-]+)", "₂") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "(?<!\s\d*)3(?!\d*[+-]+)", "₃") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "(?<!\s\d*)4(?!\d*[+-]+)", "₄") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "(?<!\s\d*)5(?!\d*[+-]+)", "₅") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "(?<!\s\d*)6(?!\d*[+-]+)", "₆") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "(?<!\s\d*)7(?!\d*[+-]+)", "₇") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "(?<!\s\d*)8(?!\d*[+-]+)", "₈") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "(?<!\s\d*)9(?!\d*[+-]+)", "₉") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "((?<=\s\d+)[+]|(?<=\s)[+](?=\s*[+-]+)|(?<=\s+)[+]$|(?<=[A-Za-z])[+])", "⁺") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "((?<=\s\d+)[-]|(?<=\s)[-](?=\s*[+-]+)|(?<=\s+)[-]$|(?<=[A-Za-z])[-])", "⁻") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "\s+0(?=[⁺⁻]+)", "⁰") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "\s+1(?=[⁺⁻]+)", "¹") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "\s+2(?=[⁺⁻]+)", "²") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "\s+3(?=[⁺⁻]+)", "³") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "\s+4(?=[⁺⁻]+)", "⁴") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "\s+5(?=[⁺⁻]+)", "⁵") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "\s+6(?=[⁺⁻]+)", "⁶") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "\s+7(?=[⁺⁻]+)", "⁷") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "\s+8(?=[⁺⁻]+)", "⁸") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "\s+9(?=[⁺⁻]+)", "⁹") Str1 = Regex.Replace(Str1, "\s+(?=[₀₁₂₃₄₅₆₇₈₉]*[⁺⁻])", "") TextBox2.Text = Str1.TrimStart(" ") End Sub

To anyone better in programming this probably looks horrible ;)

Have fun!

Cheers

Attachment: ChemistryInlineFormula.exe (23kB)
This file has been downloaded 199 times

Just killing time until the world ends. - Furude Rika, HNNKN
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: napalm in the morning

[*] posted on 17-5-2018 at 09:44

$$2 \ \text{C}_6\text{H}_{12}\text{O}_6$$
test

[Edited on 17-5-2018 by VSEPR_VOID]

Sodium Metal 100g for 45 dollars
Gallium coming soon
https://www.etsy.com/shop/VSEPRScientific?ref=l2-shopheader-...

Of all the so-called natural human rights that have ever been invented, liberty is least likely to be cheap and is never free of cost
MJ101
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Sunny

[*] posted on 14-6-2018 at 14:41

Hi,
I found this, which may also be of some use.

https://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/jmol.php

I hope it's of some use to everyone. :)

https://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/jmol.php?model=2595-97-3&am...
fusso
Hazard to Others

Mood: Poputepipikku

[*] posted on 14-6-2018 at 14:58

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
chemsketch requires registration and the word "mandatory" is anathema to moi. It just seems to me that limit notation is part of the history and theory and is itself limited as has been mentioned. I guess I'm prejudiced because I use mostly partials. And rarely do physics. But I have explained calculus using the concept of limits and have reminded myself how it all works by writing out the ideas with limit notation.

A bit nonsequential, chemrox. It seems like you are answering several threads at once.

I downloaded and use chemsketch. No registration was required. This might be a recent change. Avogadro is similar but not as powerful.

Limit notation in calculus, or more accurately, analysis -- seems an ok way to write the concept. Or, more to the point, if you understand the concept, the notation is pretty efficient. Beginning with the notation and then trying to insert the concept is a way to introduce confusions, but that is a pedagogical issue and not unique to limits at all.

Liebniz notation does have advantages over function notation but I think I sumarised the position in the other thread.
The registration screen do occur to me

2018-06-14 23_56_25-Program Manager.png - 213kB

[rquote&author=Nyaruko]It's not crime if no one finds out.[/rquote]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top