Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Neuropathy & Chemistry(?)
Sciboyce
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 14:27
Neuropathy & Chemistry(?)

Greetings all!

I'm currently in the process of recovering from a serious concussion for the past 9 months, w/ delocalised pain all throughout my brain.

I really wish to perform some basic experiments in the near future but I'm quite concerned about the added risk involved with working with any substance safely.

This is completely a matter of personal judgement & my neurologists assessments but I was wondering if anyone here does indeed carry out their inquisitive nature despite their disabilities?

In any case I will be researching on this forum thoroughly!

Thank you for reading :)
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 14:30

Welcome to the Forum !

As with any endeavour, you must know your own Limits.

This applies to everyone, disabled or otherwise.

Do not allow any 'condition' to limit you when it does not have to.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 20:06

The thing with brain injuries, as you are no doubt aware, is the very individual nature of them. There really is no predicting the effect that they will have -- either in the short term or the long term.
I had reasonably significant brain surgery as a teenager and was fortunate that I had no long term consequences except for being pulled out of sport for six months.
My advice is to think carefully through your own limitations and the worst case scenarios that might arise and plan your activities around that. If, for example there is a chance that you might become faint or light-headed suddenly, you would want to avoid syntheses that require constant babysitting or could produce toxic gases. And maybe have someone on hand who could help you at short notice if needed.
But don't let it slow you down. There is no reason why you cannot do some good experimenting and have some fun. Just pick your field appropriately.

There are a number of people on these boards who have had to modify activities because of illness.

Go To Top