Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Solubility of elements without chemical reaction
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 16-2-2016 at 12:12

Mn(3+) is stable at very low pH. I made this myself and could keep it around in a test tube for several days. After that I used it for further experiments.
V(2+) might be unstable. I can imagine that it reduces water and that hydrogen is formed.

For many anions, sulfate is suitable as well. Sulfate does not coordinate to copper(II), cobalt(II), nickel(II). It does coordinate to Cr(3+) though. With iron(III) I never tried, but I expect that in dilute sulphuric acid the iron(III) ion also looks nearly colorless.

Dilute nitrate (less than 1 M) certainly does not tend to form NO2 when no suitable reductor is present. Dilute solutions of nitrates of nearly all metal ions, even the somewhat reducing ones, are stable. Even better indeed are perchlorates. These are very stable in aqueous solution, even more so than sulfate. Only at high temperatures or in near anhydrous situations the perchlorates and perchloric acid become strongly oxidizing.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
chornedsnorkack
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-2-2016 at 14:00

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Mn(3+) is stable at very low pH. I made this myself and could keep it around in a test tube for several days. After that I used it for further experiments.
V(2+) might be unstable. I can imagine that it reduces water and that hydrogen is formed.

For many anions, sulfate is suitable as well. Sulfate does not coordinate to copper(II), cobalt(II), nickel(II). It does coordinate to Cr(3+) though. With iron(III) I never tried, but I expect that in dilute sulphuric acid the iron(III) ion also looks nearly colorless.

Dilute nitrate (less than 1 M) certainly does not tend to form NO2 when no suitable reductor is present. Dilute solutions of nitrates of nearly all metal ions, even the somewhat reducing ones, are stable.

And NO2 dismutes in dilute solutions, where nitric acid is reduced to NO instead (which is colourless).
How do dilute nitrate solutions of strongly reducing metal ions behave - Sn2+, V2+, Cr2+, Eu2+, U3+?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 18-2-2016 at 23:36

Sn(2+) hydrolyses, formation of a precipitate.
V(2+) and Cr(2+) probably cannot be kept for a long time in water, regardless of the presence of nitrate.
Eu(2+) definitely cannot be kept in water for more than a few minutes, regardless of nitrate presence.
U(3+) I don't know. Does this exist in aqueous solutions? I only know of the yellow uranyl and the green U(4+).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
chornedsnorkack
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-2-2016 at 13:56

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  

U(3+) I don't know. Does this exist in aqueous solutions? I only know of the yellow uranyl and the green U(4+).

This:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_reductor
with link to
Mendham, J; Denney, R.C; Barnes, J.D.; Thomas, M. (2000). Vogel's Textbook of Quantitative Chemical Analysis (6th ed.). Pearson Education Ltd. pp. 446–448. ISBN 0-582-22628-7.
lists cations produced by Jones reductor as:
titanium(III), vanadium(II), chromium(II), molybdenum(III), niobium(III) and uranium(III).

I have not heard much of Nb(III) or Mo(III) elsewhere.
What do Ta and W do in Jones reductor?
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 22-2-2016 at 19:18

Quote: Originally posted by MeshPL  
Technicaly brass, bronze, cast iron (carbon solution:D, who needs fullerenes?), all the jewlery and some on, are solutions.

There is a professor at my university who does a lot with fullerenes! I am pretty sure they dissolve in toluene...:)

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top