Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Are there any practical methods to break an ethanol:heptane azeotrope in the home lab?
alking
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-3-2016 at 15:47
Are there any practical methods to break an ethanol:heptane azeotrope in the home lab?

The title pretty much explains it all. I've got a solution of heptane and ethanol which I assume is 51% heptane:49% ethanol going by this azeotrope table on wikipedia. I am assuming it is not practical and will cost more than simply purchasing more solvent, but as I do not currently have a use for such a solvent blend I thought it worth looking into, plus it may provide a good learning opportunity.
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 25-3-2016 at 19:26

Couldn't you add water and do a simple extraction? Hexane is VERY nonpolar, and water is VERY polar. If you add water, the Ethanol will dissolve in it, and the hexane should form a separate layer.

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

alking
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-3-2016 at 19:43

That's a great idea, and much easier than distilling, thanks!
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 26-3-2016 at 02:50

If you don't get a strong separation or an emulsion, you could consider using brine instead of plain water. Although this will probably push some of the ethanol into the heptane layer.
alking
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-3-2016 at 19:25

Ok, now I have a follow up question; what if I want to recover both, is there a way that would not require boiling such a large amount of solvent? Is there something I could add to the mix to help break the azeotrope during distillation I'm wondering? Doing a decent wash would be a lot of water I'd then have to distill from and would take me quite a bit of time my largest boiling flask being 1L.

Go To Top