Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I may have just discovered a way to kill termites...
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 12:36
I may have just discovered a way to kill termites...

Weirdest thing happened overnight. I was extracting acetylsalicylic acid from aspirin tablets. I dissolved 8 325mg tablets in about 20 mL of 99% isopropyl alcohol, filtered out the binders and fillers for a pure acetylsalicylic acid solution, and left a cup on the windowsill for the isopropyl alcohol to evaporate.

I came back the next day, and there were 20 dead termites floating in the cup! As well as a few termites walking around the area that weren't there before. Do you think the isopropyl alcohol attracted the termites, due to its sweet smell, and the aspirin killed them?

[Edited on 7-4-2016 by Cou]

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
Fegie
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 12:42

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
Weirdest thing happened overnight. I was extracting acetylsalicylic acid from aspirin tablets. I dissolved 8 325mg tablets in about 20 mL of 99% isopropyl alcohol, filtered out the binders and fillers for a pure acetylsalicylic acid solution, and left a cup on the windowsill for the isopropyl alcohol to evaporate.

I came back the next day, and there were 20 dead termites floating in the cup! As well as a few termites flying around the area that weren't there before. Do you think the isopropyl alcohol attracted the termites, due to its sweet smell, and the aspirin killed them?

Sounds like even termites die when you drink and take your morning meds you forgot to take...
100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 15:29

I just use hairspray.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 20:39

If you have that many termites you probably want to get the house fumigated.
Formosa termites can eat an entire house in about three years and make it
structural unsound in months.
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 05:55

I once spilled a very small amount of lamp oil on a table. The next morning, there was a dense layer of small insects stuck in the layer of oil. All the bugs where from the same species, so I am speculating that one of the components of the oil acts as a pheromone or resembles a marker of ‘food’ to that species.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 08:01

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  

I came back the next day, and there were 20 dead termites floating in the cup! As well as a few termites walking around the area that weren't there before. Do you think the isopropyl alcohol attracted the termites, due to its sweet smell, and the aspirin killed them?

[Edited on 7-4-2016 by Cou]

I'm pretty sure the isopropanol itself killed the termites. I remember like 10-12 years ago when made an insect collection, I used to kill bugs by dumping them in a glass with rectified spirit, which killed them instantly. I don't think the aspirin has much effect on their death.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
8-4-2016 at 12:34

Go To Top