Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flaw
flawed
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 20:29
Flaw

The way this forum is run is seriously flawed. Users are constantly told that there posts belong at the end of another post, which is simply not true. While in some cases, a member will post a question which is identicle to another previously posted, usually the questions dealing with the same "energetic material" are fundamentally different. If you group posts together because they have one or two words in common, it becomes an extreme nuiscanse to try to find any information on that topic. What is everyones problem here with keeping posts seperate? Everyone says to "search, then post", but the search feature is currently useless becuase instead of searching for "Differences between MEKP and TATP", you are forced to search "MEKP" and then look through 30 or so replies just to determine if that information was ever posted!
tumadre
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 20:38

thats why you posted this in "Energetic Materials"

you should have posted this in "Forum Matters"

if the topic is interesting, people will keep up with it, our proplem in my opinion is not grouping together posts but creating too many "new topics" because people dont read through all the posts,

AND THEY CREATE TOO MANY MULTIPLE IDENTITYS! :
sorry for shouting, i'm just pissed!
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 21:08

Welcome to our community, flawed :P
First off, do improve your spelling, will you? 'There' has an entirely different meaning than 'their'. 'Identicle' sounds like a skin wart, it is 'identical'. What makes you think that your inability to tell words apart makes you credible?
Having established this:
Yes the search engine is bad. You are welcome to write an add-on for XMB that improves this. Until then, it makes entirely sense to keep topics together, regardless the particular question it deals with. Otherwise it will be a HUGE mess where information is scattered across multiple threads, where each deals essentially with the same thing.
Indeed, the problem, if anything, of this forum is, that some people make little effort to keep topics together, and to search (despite the search engine's downsides). Most of the moderation time is spent precisely on this: merging topics, moving topics, and closing redundant/idiotic topics. And I am well tempted to do the latter on this one.

On the matter of different identities.... mbrown3391 we are watching you!

[Edited on 10-9-2006 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
tumadre
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 21:24

ahh cookies, I know the feeling. yes Detritus, one more useless post.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 21:25

I would disagree with the premise that the forum is seriously flawed and would have to agree that it is a "Forum Matters" post, however the question as to searches I believe, deserves a response. The concept of searching for material should not be limited to the material per se' (if we are talking about a particular compound) but to related research as well. This builds a foundation in finding information that will provide "forks in the road" for a wider field of study. Thus a guy may find that on a topic like "explosive peroxides" there are co-incidental posts that steer the student to a wider element of chemistry that they were unaware of. Example: ether may formulate energetic peroxides under certain conditions. The molecular building blocks are the key to understanding not only the phenomenon, the dynamics of peroxide synthesis, but safety factors and variety in that energetic material group as well.
The moderators here are very giving with their time and quite gentle in their response. They could just as easily be hostile in their remarks but carry on in a very professional manner. This is a place for learning and shearing knowledge on a vastly varying degree of levels. As a place of learning it isn’t one-dimensional in that it simply doesn't have a collection of "recipes" for various compounds and / or demand that a contrbutor conform to some Nazi-like dictum but much wider discourse.
I don't think anyone would have a problem with digging up an old post and adding to it or querying an old post with-in the thread: I do it a lot and no one seems to mind.

The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 22:10

How do you think Energetic Materials would look if every supposedly slightly different organic peroxide thread was allowed to accumulate? Instead we have everything from simple azides, to unstable inorganic oxides, to furazans. Way classier. Besides, discussion of AP/MEKP is not really novel at all, which is what Energetic materials is for, novel energetics.
There may not be a simple thread already for the differences between AP and MEKP, but if you read the threads on each, you should be able to figure them out yourself. Searching the site is not limited to the use of our search engine type whatever you want into google followed by 'site:www.sciencemadness.org' and you get results from this site.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 01:50

Quote:
Originally posted by rogue chemist
Searching the site is not limited to the use of our search engine type whatever you want into google followed by 'site:www.sciencemadness.org' and you get results from this site.

Nice tip! Thnx;)

I don`t have Too much problem with the existing engine here, but somtimes it`ll say there`s nothing found when you Know it exists on here somewhere (Maybe it`s Female?).

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 02:31

If you can't be trusted with proper searching (which includes google and any other means to be used at your advantage), nor with double checking everything about energetic materials, you can't be trusted with fucking with energetic materials. Period.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top