Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Anhydrous AlCl3??
Maja
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-10-2006 at 07:21

I think DCM is OK ... I used to use DCM for Anhydrous AlCl3...
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2006 at 09:42

Thanks maja.. I've actually been able to find a paper which uses a solution of AlCl3 in DCM, but it did also say that it is not very soluble. Don't suppose anyone has (or knows where to get) data on exactly how soluble it is in DCM?
Maja
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-10-2006 at 10:14

sonogashira, for what purpose you need AlCl3 solution ? What you are going to do ... Not all the time you need to dissolve it ...
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2006 at 10:41

Just a friedel crafts acylation. Not to make anything in particular, just to give it a try. I can get toluene and acetyl chloride so i was hoping to try this. (note that i dont intend to do it any time in the near future, i appreciate that my chemistry knowledge and experience is very much lacking, so please dont tell me not to bother!!)

I'm just interested in how soluble it is in DCM anyway, not particularly in relation to this reaction, but perhaps for something else in the future. Perhaps you are right and i dont have to dissolve it. i would still be interested as to how soluble it is in DCM, is there some book which lists this kind of data?
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 15-10-2006 at 10:46

I have done a few F/C alkyl/acylations at Uni. Dissolving the chloride is unnecessary, just toss it in and the rxn starts very vigorously.
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 15-10-2006 at 11:14

I read somewhere that AlCl3 is VERY soluble in diethyl ether. There was even a procedure for purification involving distilling the 1:1 adduct. Now where did I put that reference....
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2006 at 11:16

Oh right, thats great, so its ok to use an excess of the catalyst? Would there be side reactions if one were to use too much with other reactions (ie not friedel crafts) or can it always be used in excess?
Maja
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-10-2006 at 11:18

Yes, rogue chemist is right .... I have tried to demethylate vanillin ... You really don't need to dissolve it all .... Stirring helps alot ...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top