Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Essential Oil steam Distallation kits hocus?
deadpool
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2016 at 14:03
Essential Oil steam Distallation kits hocus?

Hello,

I've seen many of these on ebay and amazon ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/152029220901?lpid=82&chn=ps... ) yet I'm a bit confused as to why this set in particular is so popular or if it would even be efficient given other methods. Steam distillation from my understanding separates immiscible oils from water (or some other compound), then liquid extraction is used. Couldn't you just blend plant material then filter on the frit finishing with liquid liquid extraction? or perhaps use another solvent that is miscible ( say ethanol) then do vacuum distillation? or a combination. I have a yard full of chocolate mint and oregano :) Other thoughts please I'm curious.

soxhlet extraction with correct solvent would seem to be a superior method perhaps i'm wrong in thinking this.

[Edited on 13-5-2016 by deadpool]
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 13-5-2016 at 16:34

Well, I've done steam distillations, but I have never used a device like that. It ain't standard. At least, not for chemists.

But, I did find a picture, revealing the manner of the devices use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=steam+distillation+apparatus...

http://www.heartmagic.com/EssentialDistiller.html

[Edited on 14-5-2016 by zed]

[Edited on 14-5-2016 by zed]
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 13-5-2016 at 18:30

These are primarily for volatile oils in plant material.
For non-volatile oils you want a soxhlet extraction.
deadpool
Harmless

wink.gif posted on 14-5-2016 at 15:50
Thanks

Thanks guys for the info, I guess I was just wondering what would be best & if this process is even worth it. Guess It really depends on what your trying to extract.

I took some of my mint blended it with ethanol, filtered it and distilled it. To my surprise the alcohol distillate was extremely minty, like ice breaker gum (to almost numbing the tounge) but had no mint smell at all. In the boiling flask I had a mess of chlorophyll and small plant material and a very strong mint smell (just like candy canes on Christmas) but the flavor wasn't as strong. I suspect two there was a separation of two different volatile mint chemicals perhaps menthol & menthyl acetate. I will keep the alcohol extraction or take a shot I'm not sure.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2016 at 20:32

Quote: Originally posted by deadpool  
Thanks guys for the info, I guess I was just wondering what would be best & if this process is even worth it. Guess It really depends on what your trying to extract.

I took some of my mint blended it with ethanol, filtered it and distilled it. To my surprise the alcohol distillate was extremely minty, like ice breaker gum (to almost numbing the tounge) but had no mint smell at all. In the boiling flask I had a mess of chlorophyll and small plant material and a very strong mint smell (just like candy canes on Christmas) but the flavor wasn't as strong. I suspect two there was a separation of two different volatile mint chemicals perhaps menthol & menthyl acetate. I will keep the alcohol extraction or take a shot I'm not sure.

That is how I do most my plant oil extractions. All so I forgot to say I do it under vacuum to cold distill it. Keeps the more volatile oils intact.

[Edited on 15-5-2016 by XeonTheMGPony]
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
15-5-2016 at 03:01

Go To Top