Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Attempting to self-teach a bit of organic chemistry this summer.
Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 18-6-2016 at 15:34
Attempting to self-teach a bit of organic chemistry this summer.

Hey SM,

I'm attempting to self-teach myself about a bit of Organic Chemistry. But I would to go about doing so by forcing myself to make use of one of my reagents that I've yet to use for anything—1L of 1,3-propanediol.

Now, before I go any further, I should tell you approximately about how much I know of organic chemistry:

I know essentially as much, but probably less than what this packet contains(I received it in my normal chemistry class—the X's and "Organic Reactions" (except "A") mark the topics that we skipped):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B964AW0fUdkLMlQyaHAydU9kT2...

With that being said, know how to draw most compounds except everything beyond that pack (excluding the X'd items).

I drew a molecule of 1,3-propanediol, and read up a little on diols. I found that diols are capable of being converted to cyclic ethers(I don't really understand how cyclic affects anything), ethers, and esters. Therefore, I'd like to do just that—convert 1,3-propanediol to an ether, possibly methyl ethyl ether, with water as a side product.

But I'm just a beginner—a novice—but I'm willing to accept any help at all, including a place to start.

Thank you in advance!

—Elyjah

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 18-6-2016 at 16:44

How would you get methyl ethyl ether from propanediol? It doesn't make sense.

You could try reacting it with formaldehyde to form 1,3-dioxane (a cyclic acetal).

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 18-6-2016 at 17:33

Maybe Velzee means adding a methyl to one oxygen and an ethyl to the other? If that were the case, that would be pretty difficult, especially for a beginner. Doing just methyl or ethyl on both sides would probably be doable, using the corresponding alcohol and sulfuric acid.

Another use for 1,3-propanediol would be oxidation to malonic acid. There are multiple methods on the forum, I think, one of them using nitric acid as the oxidant.
Velzee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-6-2016 at 18:09

Quote: Originally posted by Crowfjord  
Maybe Velzee means adding a methyl to one oxygen and an ethyl to the other? If that were the case, that would be pretty difficult, especially for a beginner. Doing just methyl or ethyl on both sides would probably be doable, using the corresponding alcohol and sulfuric acid.

Another use for 1,3-propanediol would be oxidation to malonic acid. There are multiple methods on the forum, I think, one of them using nitric acid as the oxidant.

Yes, I was thinking about your second suggestion—having a methyl and ethyl on either side—how would I go about performing such a process?

[Edited on 6/19/2016 by Velzee]

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-6-2016 at 18:13

See here, for example.
Velzee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-6-2016 at 18:18

Okay. I'm going to need to obtain some funds before attempting that. I haven't been able to purchase HNO3 nor the equipment used to handle making it. Can the reaction be performed without using HNO3—using another oxidizing agent perhaps?

—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-6-2016 at 18:33

Potassium permanganate perhaps? Lots of ways out there, not hard to find with some searching.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 18-6-2016 at 22:13

Bleach might work.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.

Go To Top