Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Benzyl Alcohol -> Benzaldehyde via Silica Gel Supported Jones Reagent
Hilski
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-9-2006 at 14:35
Benzyl Alcohol -> Benzaldehyde via Silica Gel Supported Jones Reagent

Anyone ever try this? Seems way too easy to be true.

Representative Procedure

Dry silica gel (5 g) was placed in a 100-mL round-bottom flask containing a magnetic stirring bar and fitted with a rubber septum. Jones reagent (1.5mL, 12 mmol) was added slowly from a syringe to the vigorously stirred silica gel. After complete addition of the reagent, stirring continued until a free-flowing orange powder was obtained (less than 5 min). Methylene chloride (25 mL) was added to the above flask. A solution of benzyl alcohol 1a (396 mg, 3.66 mmol) in methylene chloride (5 mL) was added slowly from a syringe through the rubber septum to the stirred heterogeneous mixture. The orange SJR turned dark green/brown immediately. After complete disappearance of the starting benzyl alcohol as indicated by TLC (10 min), the reaction mixture was filtered through a sintered glass funnel, the solid residue was washed with methylene chloride (75 mL) and the washings were added to the filtrate. Solvent was removed from the solution under vacuum to produce a colorless oil (331.6 mg, 85.3% yield) which was pure benzaldehyde according to NMR and IR data.

More details from Erowid:

http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/alcohol2alde...

-Hilski
Hilski
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-9-2006 at 12:50

Seems the answer was right here all along. Or at least something close. I suppose that as long as no water is allowed into a Jones-type oxidation, then it should work OK?

https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5839

The last 4 or 5 posts in that thread is a discussion about variations of a Jones oxidation.

Quote: "Use of CrO3 with NaHSO4.H2O (Sodium Bisulfate Monohydrate) in 1:1:1 ratio will give you bezaldehyde by 95% yield. ( Im still using it myself,trust it)"

'Tis worth looking into I would say. I wonder if dichromate would also work in this case as well?
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 15-7-2011 at 17:34

I have performed this exact synthesis before, and it works like a dream. Isolation of product is trivial, and the whole reaction is clean and easy.

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
mario840
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-7-2011 at 21:56

better is PCC (pyridinum chlorochromate) , easy synth reagent and easy synthesis oxidize
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-7-2011 at 08:01

Quote: Originally posted by mario840  
better is PCC (pyridinum chlorochromate) , easy synth reagent and easy synthesis oxidize

The only problem with PCC is that it is much more difficult to acquire than silica gel.

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-7-2011 at 16:01

Why not use calcium/sodium hypochlorite? The link below says it is possible and gives 98% yields, though it says that benzyl alcohol is the only (or one of the few) primary alcohol(s) that can get oxidized into an aldehyde using hypochlorites.

http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/ether2ester.hypochlorite.html
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-7-2011 at 17:48

I would love to try this, but the synthesis calls for acetonitrile, which I cannot make nor purchase. I wonder if a different compound could be substituted in its place....

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 21-7-2011 at 18:43

Does anyone have experience with the procedure in the attached pdf? It uses iodine radicals to oxidize benzyl alcohol to benzaldehyde, then the iodide is oxidized back to iodine by molecular oxygen. Seems pretty easy, especially if you have access to a source of pure oxygen.

Attachment: benzaldehyde.pdf (146kB)
This file has been downloaded 1358 times

simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-7-2011 at 19:25

Quote: Originally posted by redox  
I would love to try this, but the synthesis calls for acetonitrile, which I cannot make nor purchase. I wonder if a different compound could be substituted in its place....

I'm pretty sure acetonitrile is just a solvent they decided to use for adding the menthol dropwise, since pure menthol is a waxy solid. But you don't need it for working with benzyl alcohol since its a liquid already.
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-7-2011 at 04:44

In that case, I will be attempting this procedure with benzyl alcohol post-haste. :)

simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-8-2011 at 18:52

Ok I tried today the oxidation of benzyl alcohol with calcium hypochlorite and I can only classify it as 'disastrous success'.

I mixed 155g of 65% calcium hypochlorite from bleaching powder with 600ml of water and 110g of benzyl alcohol. The reaction went smooth in the beginning, with no heating evolved, and I could smell benzaldehyde being formed...then after 2 hours I heard an explosion. I went to see what happened and my laundry room was entirely painted with spills from the reaction mixture and the smell was so strong I could barely breath.

It seems the reaction spontaneously boiled to the point of exploding in a volcanic stream of benzaldehyde. I just want to know what the fuck happened...I know calcium hypochlorite is known for undergoing self heating, but I added just the enough for the reaction...does anyone have a clue of what happened?
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2011 at 20:57

For a start, the paper claims acetic acid is required for the oxidation. Secondly, the paper runs the reaction in an ice bath. And finally, your volume of solvent is far off if a direct scale-up is attempted. Perhaps you should try new reactions following the experimental procedure outlined in the reference and on a small scale to avoid such dangerous situations and the large waste of materials.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 02:49

Quote: Originally posted by shivas  
I mixed 155g of 65% calcium hypochlorite from bleaching powder with 600ml of water and 110g of benzyl alcohol.

...then after 2 hours I heard an explosion. I went to see what happened and my laundry room was entirely painted with spills from the reaction mixture and the smell was so strong I could barely breath.

Sorry for being offensive, but I just can't help not saying: "What an idiot!"
How could you expect anything else but a runaway could happen by doing an oxidation on a one mol scale under totally uncontrolled conditions? I have to restrain myself of not telling you what I think of such a behavior. Could you have done this in any more stupid way? Only by doing it on 10 mol!
Well, at least you had the luck of not being present at the moment of the accident.

TO ALL: Don't scale up exothermic reactions without process research!

I can't believe these things still happen after so many safety warnings. Does nobody ever UTFSE by using keywords like: runaway, mishap, safety, accident, scale up...

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3698

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 07:14

Yeah, I can only agree about that, epic idiocy, and nothing more. I could try to justify it, but its just unjustifiable really, I don't even know what I was thinking at the time I made that post, I guess I was just knocked out by the strong smell of benzaldehyde in my house.

But well, what does not kill you...makes you learn.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 07:28

Its not the fact you made the post thats the problem, and so you cannot blame the smell of benzaldehyde. What you did was really inconsiderate, running a new reaction on the molar scale without even following the same procedure that was used. The large amount of water used in the paper is NECESSARY as there is a large amount precipitate formed during the reaction, which may prevent/hinder magnetic stirring. Towards the end of the reaction all of this precipitate is redissolved. I'd suggest overhead stirring for anything over about 100mmol.
simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 08:17

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
Its not the fact you made the post thats the problem, and so you cannot blame the smell of benzaldehyde. What you did was really inconsiderate, running a new reaction on the molar scale without even following the same procedure that was used. The large amount of water used in the paper is NECESSARY as there is a large amount precipitate formed during the reaction, which may prevent/hinder magnetic stirring. Towards the end of the reaction all of this precipitate is redissolved. I'd suggest overhead stirring for anything over about 100mmol.

The reason I feel stupid about that post is just because I said I had no clue of what had happened. I was already expecting some highly exotermic reaction, but I could feel the smell of benzaldehyde and no rise in temperature, so I just assumed nothing would happen thereafter, I was very wrong then.
MolecularArchitect
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-8-2011 at 08:45

@redox Do you have any experience with scaling up the procedure herein mentioned?

"Practical application is found by not looking for it, and one could say that the whole progress of civilization rests on that principle." -Jacques Hadamard
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-8-2011 at 13:39

Quote: Originally posted by MolecularArchitect  
@redox Do you have any experience with scaling up the procedure herein mentioned?

Somewhat. I performed the synthesis on a two-times scale, which was about 7.32 mmol benzyl alcohol (some [read: most] might still consider this small scale :cool: ). Once I get some more silica gel, I will try it again on a .25 mol scale or near that.

[Edited on 10-8-2011 by redox]

MeSynth
Hazard to Others

Mood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZltqlVuDIo

[*] posted on 20-8-2011 at 12:26

After doing a bit of math I discovered that if you wanted to scale this up say... 1000x ( in order to produce 300ml of benzaldehyde ) your going to need A LOT of silica gel... if you found a good supplier of silica gel then it would be ok the next problem is the large flask you would need. Glass punch bowl? or one of those glass water jugs that Chunk drops in The Goonies.
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-8-2011 at 06:50

Quote: Originally posted by MeSynth  
After doing a bit of math I discovered that if you wanted to scale this up say... 1000x ( in order to produce 300ml of benzaldehyde ) your going to need A LOT of silica gel... if you found a good supplier of silica gel then it would be ok the next problem is the large flask you would need. Glass punch bowl? or one of those glass water jugs that Chunk drops in The Goonies.

I think its clear that this synthesis was not designed to be scaled up. Plus, who needs 300mL of benzaldehyde? :)

It would be interesting to do some experiments to see if the ratio of silica gel to Jones' Reagent could be lowered, to save some of the valuable silica gel.

Does anyone have a good source for the gel? My only source was ~55$ for 300g silica gel! Of course, this was for very fine mesh, I think 0.4 um - 0.63um, or something like that.

MeSynth
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-8-2011 at 09:11

I think its clear that this synthesis was not designed to be scaled up. Plus, who needs 300mL of benzaldehyde? :)

It would be interesting to do some experiments to see if the ratio of silica gel to Jones' Reagent could be lowered, to save some of the valuable silica gel.

Does anyone have a good source for the gel?

Would it be possible to lessen the amount of silica gel used? Why don't you find out how the reaction works, tell us =P, and then we can answer your question.
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-8-2011 at 11:37

Does anyone have a good source for the gel?

Would it be possible to lessen the amount of silica gel used? Why don't you find out how the reaction works, tell us =P, and then we can answer your question.

The reaction works by forming an intermediate chromate ester which is cleaved, giving an aldehyde and a less oxidized oxochromium acid.

I personally don't understand why silica gel lessens the activity of and raises the selectivity of the Jones' reagent. Does anybody out there in the internet know?

MeSynth
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-8-2011 at 14:09

Silica gel used in the oxidation reactions, as solid support, was MN-Kieselgel 60 (0.04–0.063mm mesh size) supplied by Fisher Scientific.

------------------------------Taken from the link in the original post

Used as a solid support. Maybe plain old glass dust would work.
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-8-2011 at 14:40

Silica gel used in the oxidation reactions, as solid support, was MN-Kieselgel 60 (0.04–0.063mm mesh size) supplied by Fisher Scientific.

------------------------------Taken from the link in the original post

Used as a solid support. Maybe plain old glass dust would work.

Well, it is obviously a solid support. Dust won't work. Dust is made up mostly of dust, hair, and skin cells. Silica gel is very porous with an enormous surface area, which adsorbs (or absorbs? not sure) the Jones reagent. My question was why it modifies the activity of the Jones Reagent.

questions
Hazard to Others

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 26-8-2011 at 18:52

Our friend "cyclonknight" described an attractive process for making benzaldehyde from cinnamon oil by slowly dripping the cinnamon oil into the already boiling water with dissolved NaOH at around a PH of 12 to 13.
What I dont understand is that on the wikipedia they say that benzaldehyde is converted into two other chemicals when exposed to highly concentrated NaOH, and I quote

"Benzaldehyde undergoes disproportionation upon treatment with concentrated alkali (Cannizzaro reaction): one molecule of the aldehyde is reduced to the corresponding alcohol and another molecule is simultaneously oxidized to sodium benzoate."

So if the cinnamon oil is being converted to benzaldehyde, and is steam disstilled out, why isn't the benzaldehyde being converted into other products as described by the wikkipedia?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top