Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cyanate substitutes for CBrN
Hilski
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-9-2006 at 19:29
Cyanate substitutes for CBrN

I was just curious which (if any) cyanate compounds can be substituted for CBrN in production of a certain oxazoline.

Of course I will search for an answer for myself, but I thought I go ahead and throw the question out there anyway.

Thanks
scientistfromdarkness
Harmless

Mood: schlenk

[*] posted on 20-9-2006 at 00:36

cyanides and cyanates are two totally different compounds...
Hilski
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-9-2006 at 10:40

uh...yeah, I know that.

I was referring to this little snippett that I have seen in more than one place over the years, most recently on Wikipedia.

"Synthesis involves cyanate compounds or cyanogen bromide; the latter reaction variant should be done under a fume hood."

[Edited on 20-9-2006 by Hilski]
tr41414
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-9-2006 at 13:02

You are probably refering to reaction PPA >> 4-MAR. People are usualy not very happy to search around, just to find what you want to ask, so i suggest you not talking in codes....

Here is the writeup, you are probably searching for:
Quote:

Bandil, the Hive; posted by woden

Practice (in theory of course)
5 grammes of norephedrine.HCl(26,5 mmoles), was placed in a 100 mL FBF, and 2,3 grammes of KOCN(28,4 mmoles) and 25 mL's of distilled water was immediately added in succession. This was heated to reflux directly on the hotplate for two hours.

After this time, 30 mL's of 2M HCl(60 mmoles) was added. This caused a bit of bubbling(probably from the excess cyanate being broken down to gasseus -i-cant-remember-what-). Reflux was continued for an additional two hours. The mixture took on an ever so slight pinkish tint, which the "old" synth also tend to do at this stage.

After 2½ hours of reflux, the mixture was cooled and basified with sodium carbonate and presto a lot of pretty white crystals precipitated on the bottom of the beaker. The yeild looked like that which is expected from the normal reaction. They will be measured shortly.
Hilski
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-9-2006 at 16:25

You are correct in your assumption. Thank you very much for the reply.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 21-9-2006 at 07:10

Show some damn minimum level of respect for this forum!
Is that really so difficult?

PS: The same goes to all other WD refuges here.
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6534
Hilski
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2006 at 17:18

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicodem
Show some damn minimum level of respect for this forum!
Is that really so difficult?

PS: The same goes to all other WD refuges here.
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6534

What are you talking about?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 22-9-2006 at 00:11

About considering the cultural context of this forum and not to behave like some American tourist abroad or an illiterate in a library. I'm sure many would gladly answer your (and other WD members') questions if these would be posed in a way not to offend. That means that you need to use scientific discourse, chemical names, providing enough information about the issue, hiding greed and drug cook motivations and not talking schizophrenically ("SWIM-ing"). Obviously there are other things that have no place in this forum and you should first see your ways around before posting culturally offending posts. (Like I already said, I'm not talking about you only, so don't take it like I accused you of not considering each one of the mentioned manners - just a couple of them.)
Hilski
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-9-2006 at 08:17

My apologies.
It will not allow me to edit or delete the original post. I assume it's because it is the first post in the thread. The moderators could delete it if they see fit.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 22-9-2006 at 10:01

No need to delete anything. The topic of the thread develops in the replies anyway, though it is indeed a bit weird when the question is being (re)constructed in the replies instead of being posed by the thread originator. By the way, posts can only be edited in the first 24h (you can find more technical details in the FAQ).
There is also no need to apologize neither, since my remark was general for all of those that came here lately from WetDreams. I picked this thread to rant over such type of posting, but could just as well choose several others (of those that did not end up in Detritus already). But I admit it is probably just my personal dislike of scientific disregard that always gets me to over react. I doubt many members and the moderators share my sensibility in this regard.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-9-2006 at 10:17

Nicodem, I do agree with you. I may be a little less sensitive on some formulations and wrong pieces of grammar, but I really dislike the "Swim made ....", "Swim mixed A with B", etc. kind of stuff. Also, if I see drugs-related questions, then the only thing I can think of is "Bwah..." :(. This is not a meth-cook forum. The most important reason for me to be irked by that kind of things is that it is really harmful for the hobby of real home chemistry.

[Edited on 22-9-06 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top