Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Safe disposal question: Long-standing sodium in THF/Ether
CF16
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2016 at 11:08
Safe disposal question: Long-standing sodium in THF/Ether

I've been tasked with lab-packing for disposal a couple of 1L flasks.

It seems someone was drying out some diethyl ether and THF with sodium and forgot about them. They've now been sitting in a cabinet for at least a year - though I suspect several. They are both completely dried out now.

My concern is that there may have been some peroxide formation, though I can't readily see any crystals in the powdery residue. The ether/THF we buy are BHT stablized, but they would have been exposed to non-insignificant amounts of light in the clear glass flasks, and if they were stored under inert atmosphere, they won't be anymore.

I've reached out to our safety officer to recommend an action-plan, but I'm waiting on a response so I figured I'd ask here.

My current plan would be to have someone hold a blast shield while I carefully place the flasks in our disposal container.

Any recommendations? If I were to get a peroxide explosion, will the sodium likely go as well?

Cheers.

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2016 at 13:47

If its dry etc wont the sodium be sodium carbonate by now? Could you add a liquid? If your holding it a blast shield isnt going to help your hand.

I am a noob so wait for a clever person :D

[Edited on 12-7-2016 by NEMO-Chemistry]
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 12-7-2016 at 15:27

Peroxide explosions pack a wallop. Equally of concern, is the ignition of the flammable solvent cloud, which is created by the initial detonation.

To me, it seems that the presence of active sodium metal, during storage, would have reduced any peroxides formed, in situ.

I am not an expert on this matter however. And, an ether/peroxide detonation is not a trivial matter.

At my former place of employment, the discovery of such flasks, would have been handled, by calling the fire department. We wouldn't even have touched such a container, much less opened it.

My colleague once discovered a formerly opened, partially empty can, of di-isopropyl ether lurking on a back shelf. The boys in the red truck came, carefully placed the suspect container in a protective casing, and they transported it to their firing range.

From a safe ways off, they took a pot shot at it, whereupon it blew up.... into a magnificent fireball.

Fire department feedback to the staff...... " It was a good thing you didn't mess with that"

Go To Top