Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Beginner reactions
RocksInHead
Harmless

Mood: Highly Nitrated

[*] posted on 23-7-2016 at 16:24
Beginner reactions

Hi everyone, I not so long ago stumbled upon the amazing hobby of chemistry. I learned pretty fast and have completed numerous general chemistry textbooks. I currently am reading an organic chemistry book, and I can safely say I like it alot more than regular chem.

I set up a lab a while ago, and performed some (VERY) simple reactions, and I want to go on to something a little more complex, I was hoping that some of you could suggest some simple organic chem reactions.

I don't have very exotic reagents, but do have a wide selection of inorganic reagents, various inorganic acids, EtOH, MeOH, DCM, Glacial acetic acid, Diethyl ether, malonic acid, KIO3, NH4OH, NH4Cl, NH4(NO3), etc. I also would be willing to get some other reagents if needed (if they are easy to find and they don't cost a fortune :).)

Thanks in advance!

[Edited on 24-7-2016 by RocksInHead]
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-7-2016 at 17:25

If you have a simple glassware kit that lets you carry out a reaction under reflux, and simple distillation, and concentrated H2SO4 and/or a Dean Stark trap ($15 from China on Ebay) a "rite of passage" for organic chemists is the preparation of some esters (e.g. methyl acetate, ethyl acetate, etc.).

Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-7-2016 at 12:13

With some glassware (distillation apparatus and a Soxhlet extractor) and the appropriate solvent you could also extract some molecules from plants and isolate them or keep them in solution.
Treat your friends with some pure capsaïcine !
RocksInHead
Harmless

Mood: Highly Nitrated

[*] posted on 24-7-2016 at 23:28

Quote:

If you have a simple glassware kit that lets you carry out a reaction under reflux, and simple distillation, and concentrated H2SO4 and/or a Dean Stark trap ($15 from China on Ebay) a "rite of passage" for organic chemists is the preparation of some esters (e.g. methyl acetate, ethyl acetate, etc.).

Oh wow that sounds fun, I was thinking about making some isopropyl acetate to mess around with anyway. I wonder if the esterification process is the same for all alcohols.

Quote:

With some glassware (distillation apparatus and a Soxhlet extractor) and the appropriate solvent you could also extract some molecules from plants and isolate them or keep them in solution. Treat your friends with some pure capsaïcine !

I would do that, (as I saw Nile Red use his capsaicine for pepper-spray) but it seems Soxlet extractors are quite pricey, hopefully I can get enough money together to get one soon.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2016 at 07:19

You can isolate caffeine from coffee, distill some oils from plants or oils, make bio-diesel or soap, make luminol, fluoroscein, or other dyes.

Find a copy of an old Fieser lab manual, or look at MIT, Harvard, or other open access lab courses for many good experiments. lidocaine is another neat one to make, but harder to find the starting materials.

Go To Top