Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: The road to methyl anthranilate
JnPS
Hazard to Self

Mood: Umpolung

[*] posted on 29-7-2016 at 19:54
The road to methyl anthranilate

I'm doing a methyl anthranilate synthesis from toluene and need o-nitrotoluene. I ran the classical mixed acid nitration and expected to get a mixture of ortho and para products. My plan was to freeze the mixture to -15C and I heard that the para isomer would crystallize out of solution via the chemplayer video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBFjdf1s8fQ ) I ran a smaller scale experiment to test out my reagents (home made HNO3, hardware store toluene, etc...)
10mL Toluene
4.5mL "conc" HNO3
5.4mL "conc" H2SO4
5.8mL of product obtained, 52.7% yield based on toluene
everything went fairly well but I didn't get any crystals precipitating out at -15C, I'm awaiting an IR spectra on my product but is it possible to get only the one isomer through the mixed acid nitration? Could I have done something wrong and maybe I don't have nitrotoluene at all? Maybe my acids weren't as concentrated as I thought? Any thoughts?

[Edited on 30-7-2016 by JnPS]
Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-7-2016 at 20:37

I've done this reaction before. Try leaving the bottle of nitrotoluenes in the freezer for 24 hours. The crystals don't settle out immediately, but you should see some on the bottom and sides of the container after a day.

As far as the product not being nitrotoluenes, what is the color like? How does it smell?
JnPS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-7-2016 at 20:55

It's a pale yellow liquid but when I did the washing steps either i mixed up which layer I drained into which beaker but I could have sworn it was the top layer in the water washes which makes me think it's not nitrotoluene, and I don't really know how to describe the smell...especially since when I tried to smell it I wafted a bit too much and it burned my nose. I'll try leaving it in the freezer,

As a side-note do you have any ideas of what to do with the p-nitrotoluene? I don't really have a use for it but it'd be a shame for it to just sit and collect dust

[Edited on 30-7-2016 by JnPS]
Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-7-2016 at 22:12

Yeah, nitrotoluenes are denser than water.... what you have is probably so contaminated with toluene that the density of the resulting mixture is less than that of water. How long did you run the nitration for? I ran mine (on 40 ml toluene) for 30 minutes of weak stirring during addition plus an hour of strong stirring, until the reaction had stopped generating its own heat. The reaction temperature was held at 25-30 C during this later strong stirring phase with a cool water bath. Mixed nitrotoluenes are a pretty bright yellow color, with a smell very reminiscent of bitter almonds.

o-nitrotoluene is probably the more useful isomer (for anthranilic acid, o-toluidine, methaqualone... forget i said that last one), but the para isomer is good for some things as well. It can be oxidized to p-nitrobenzoic acid, reduced to p-amino benzoic acid, and esterified with ethanol to form benzocaine. It is also a good substrate for reduction to p-toluidine and a subsequent Sandmeyer reaction, forming a p-substituted toluene. Finally, you could always nitrate it further to TNT, if you're interested in explosives. These are just some ideas off the top of my head-- there are probably more interesting reactions you could try.
JnPS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 06:36

I ran the nitration for 45 minutes after addition but I added the acids probably quicker than I should have, only over the course of 10 minutes. I thought maybe on a 10mL scale I could be more lenient with the addition time. Although during the 45 minute period I kept my reaction mixture around 15-20C with an ice bath, is that too cold?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 08:18

Recommendations:

1.ut[forum]se
2. follow a published procedure ;)

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=29111

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
JnPS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 08:38

Thank you! I'm assuming I can scale your procedure down as long as I keep the molar ratios the same right?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 08:53

That should work.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 17:28

It's actually a deceptively tricky reaction to perform and it took us quite a lot of tries and failures before we got it right. Our main suggestions:

1. Add the mixed acid dropwise to the well stirred toluene.
2. The reaction is exothermic - you're going to need a lot of ice to cool.
3. Go slowly - it's boring but be patient.
4. Stir for a long time after all the acid is added.
5. If the temperature starts to rise again once the final mixture is removed from the cool bath, then it's not over yet!
6. Wash and dry the product properly and carefully.
7. Any toluene still present will totally inhibit crystallisation of isomers and hence separation.
8. You'll need to freeze the dry product for a good 48 hours to get a first good yield of crystals.
9. Use a chilled vacuum filter sinter as the p-isomer crystals are somewhat soluble in the liquid o-isomer. Keep the temp low.
10. Crystallise again by freezing and do this 3-4 times to get a highly enriched (but not totally pure) o-isomer.

The p-isomer is actually more interesting in some respects - you can use it to make benzocaine!

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
JnPS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 18:34

After three tries I'm starting to think that my acids aren't as concentrated as they need to be, I'm going to fork out the cash and order the real stuff rather than use my homemade reagents.
Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 09:40

I got away with 93% sulfuric acid and 50% nitric acid. I used extra sulfuric acid to help dry the nitric acid, but unless you have extremely weak acids, I don't think this is the problem. Keep in mind that I did end up getting product which was denser than water, and crystals of p-nitrotoluene did appear relatively quickly.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 10:22

I followed Magpie's procedure last year using reagent grade chemicals at my school, and it went flawlessly. I have not tried yet using my home made nitric acid and technical grade sulfuric acid, but I'm going to have to at some point because I left my bottle of o-nitrotoluene in the freezer at school, and I'm never going back there, so it's lost. Hopefully it will work.

Side note: I used the p-nitrotoluene that I had to make an azo compound, 4,4'-dimethylazobenzene. I can't remember the exact procedure, but I think I found it on OrgSyn. It involved rexluxing a mixture of p-nitrotoluene, zinc granules, and sodium hydroxide in methanol for a couple of hours. After filtering, evaporating down the mixture, extracting with DCM and evaporating it down again, I got a tiny amount of a reddish orange compound.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
JnPS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 10:24

I know my sulfuric acid is somewhere around 95%, I don't have the available hardware to do an accurate titration, but the density was 1.83g/mL if memory serves, the problem is my nitric acid. I didn't measure the density but it must be only around 30-40% or lower since after the failed nitrations I tried doing the simple HNO3+copper -> Cu2+ since its a visual test and I didn't get any noticeable reaction until a good minute or two.

In hindsight I should have double checked the nitric acid before using it, but I wanted to get the methyl anthranilate ASAP while I still had access to an IR but now that someone here may be offering NMR services I have the time to be patient.
Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 12:18

Can you take a density of the nitric acid? There are tables to correlate density and temperature to concentration online.
JnPS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 16:43

I would, but my third run of the nitration I tried doing it to the scale in Magpie's procedure and I got a better colored product (density is still way too low so not good enough to get any good NTs) and that combined with the bit I used for the copper test used up the rest of the HNO3 I had on hand, I only ever keep like 100mL on hand at any time in case my dad knocks something over in my lab. I should probably just get a small safe to keep my hazardous stuff in.
JnPS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-8-2016 at 09:18

I finally have a viable sample of fairly pure o-nitrotoluene for use in my methyl anthranilate synthesis. It probably still has some p-NT dissolved in it but I got out as much as I can through freezing and filtering out the crystals. I may use the p-NT in the future for the suggested benzocaine synthesis.

However I would like to lay out my synthetic scheme to methyl anthranilate here so I can get some feedback from you guys on whether you think its viable or if I should adjust it.

Toluene -> o-nitrotoluene -> o-nitrobenzoic acid (via chromic acid) -> Anthranilic acid via Sn/HCl reduction

Then before I do the Fischer Esterification I want to protect the amine group from being protonated during the esterification using M.E.K. to form an imine. Run the fischer esterification with methanol, and then hydrolyze the imine back to the amine to be left with methyl anthranilate.

Any thoughts on this scheme to get the desired ester?
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 18-8-2016 at 14:03

Starting from phthalimide would be easier.

Also, I don't see why protection of the amino group is necessary (why would protonation hinder the esterification?), but if you really care, you could esterify the carboxylic acid before reducing the nitro group. In any case, an imine is not a good protecting group under these conditions.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 18-8-2016 at 14:47

o-xylene --(chromic acid) --> phthalic acid ---(ammonia)--->phthalimide --->anthranilic acid.
Anyway, o-nitrotoluene is a viable source, if you have the o-nitrotoluene. Otherwise preparing o-nitrotoluene is a pain in the a.
JnPS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-8-2016 at 17:26

My organic professor thought that if I reduced the nitro group after esterifying the carboxylic acid the HCl might hydrolyze the ester, he's the one that suggested protecting the amino group, but if the amino group won't be affected by the esterification then I won't bother.
byko3y
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2016 at 22:44

HCl will surely hydrolyze the ester. You don't need to protect amino group if you are using acid-catalized esterification (Fischer).
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 01:36

You don't need to use Sn/HCl for the reduction step. From o-nitrobenzoic acid, form the ester and do the subsequent reduction with Pd/C under hydrogen balloon or use Fe/FeCl3 depending on what you have available and your practical ability. Neither of these methods will risk hydrolysis of the ester. EtOH will work as a solvent for both reactions (I've used both methods previously using a 5-nitrosalicylate ester)
byko3y
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 04:01

Any links to Fe/FeCl3 route? The only procedure I know is preformed using ultrasonic agitation of Fe+AcOH+EtOH+H2O Aryl Nitro Reduction with Iron Powder or Stannous Chloride under Ultrasonic Irradiation
No iron chloride though, because FeCl3 with lead to HCl production in a protic solvent and will be reduced into FeCl2 by iron. FeCl2 is nonacidic though.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 06:21

Quote: Originally posted by JnPS  
My organic professor thought that if I reduced the nitro group after esterifying the carboxylic acid the HCl might hydrolyze the ester

Quote: Originally posted by byko3y  
HCl will surely hydrolyze the ester

I have always had this doubt.Can HCl hydrolyse the ester even if there is no water in the reaction mixture (i.e if the water fomed during the reduction step was continuously removed using a dean-stark trap) ? Don't you need H2O for hydrolysis ?
and if the reduction was run in methanol,there won't be a problem of trans esterification
Actually forming the ester before reducing the nitro compound is better since the electron withdrawing effect of the nitro group facilitates the ester formation
the reduction can be done easily with sodium dithionite https://youtu.be/1PXmg2OZDmI?t=729

[Edited on 19-8-2016 by CuReUS]
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 07:56

Quote: Originally posted by byko3y  
Any links to Fe/FeCl3 route?

This was the method I used:
http://cssp.chemspider.com/Article.aspx?id=261

Apologies for the omission of acetic acid as a component in my earlier description. I suspect that FeCl2 is the actual reductant in this method (formed in situ from Fe and FeCl3). Acetic acid is there as a mild proton source (nitro reduction requires 6H+ and 6 e-) and can probably be substituted out if needed. High yielding with the substrate I was dealing with, but as the author mentions it is a bit messy. Later settled for H2 and Pd/C as it was spot to spot and only required filtration to remove catalyst and concentration in vacuo to afford the pure product.

byko3y
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 08:46

FeCl3 might be there just to activate the iron. I was unable to find any other rationalization in the internet. FeCl2 forms even if you add NaCl into mixture.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top