Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Measuring/ controlling temperature of a reaction
biomechem
Unregistered

[*] posted on 15-8-2016 at 15:08
Measuring/ controlling temperature of a reaction

Could you tell me is there any difference between the following temperature measuring methods:
a) Sticking thermometer or thermocouple directly into flask or it's neck
b) Sticking it to a water/ silicone oil bath in which reaction flask is inserted

Except a case when in a reaction flask there are substances that may react with thermocouple (e.g. mineral acids). I will be grateful for your help.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 15-8-2016 at 15:17

As a rule of thumb for heating the bath should be ~20°C hotter than the liquid being heated.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
biomechem
Unregistered

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 18:30

Never heard of it, thank you. Could you tell me, please, when using heating mantle the rule of thumb still obligates?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 20:57

The heat transfer with a mantle would not be as efficient so a higher temperature would seem to apply. How much higher I have no idea.

I use a mantle whenever possible for its convenience. I just turn the variac to where I get an acceptable heat delivery. I have never used the thermocouple built into the mantle to measure its temperature.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 20-8-2016 at 00:34

The best approach will depend on the nature of the reaction. If it's endothermic or neutral a heat bath would work fine as long as you don't need a very accurate temperature. For very precise measurements or exothermic reactions you should measure the reaction vessel directly.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.

Go To Top