Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: feasibility of forming the AlCl3 complex with methyl chloride and phosphorus trichloride
obeliscus
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2016 at 12:04
feasibility of forming the AlCl3 complex with methyl chloride and phosphorus trichloride

Hi

I am planning to synthesize the aluminum chloride-phoshphorus ttrichloride methyl chloride complex to ultimately make selenomethylphosphonus dichloride.

I have read of a few journals from the NRC research database and one of them mentioned that an overhead stirrer is necessary; I have an overhead stirrer but can not run it continuously because it is bulky and makes the table vibrate strongly.

Instead I subjected a mixture of phosphorus trichloride aluminum chloride mixture to overhead stirring for 24 hours to break up clumps of the AlCl3.
Then I put the mixture under magnetic stirring and in time much but not all of the mixture seemed to be in a swirl.

If I were to add gaseous methyl chloride to commence the reaction with the mixture under magnetic stirring, would I be able to commence the reaction without significant (>50%) losses?
Thanks
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-8-2016 at 12:15

Can you not find a way to damp down the vibration from the stirrer instead?
obeliscus
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-8-2016 at 12:19

not yet unforutnately table is not very strong I thinking of getting another
obeliscus
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-8-2016 at 12:22

I am thinking

Go To Top