Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A slight problem...
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 13-11-2020 at 05:43

I have a lot of high-tech respiratory protection. The first thing your instructions tell you is: Not for use in atmospheres that are immediately hazardous to life.

The Mask is meant to be back-up, not primary protection. A good, well sealed, full face respirator, equipt with an appropriate, freshly opened, high quality gas mask cartridge, offers pretty good protection even from nerve gases....In low concentrations. But, it is transient protection. As soon as possible, leave the area and decontaminate.

If you really, gotta work in a truly hazardous atmosphere, a mask supplied by a remote air supply is required.

Either outside air supply via hose, or an SCBA set-up is required. SCBA is firefighter stuff.

Scavenging Gold? Easily done with HCl and H2O2. Lots of examples on YouTube. Not very dangerous.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2020 at 11:17

I never count my ABEK mask as a protection, but a back-up. Maybe sounds stupid, but I reactively hold my breath when handling very toxic stuff which can/could give off vapors. When I had to handle that NO2 mess, I took a deep breath and took determined steps to quench and dump the reaction, put the flask on firm stand, stepped back and then breathed again. I did not have my mask at hand because I was not prepared to such fumes since the instructables just mentioned an inverted funnel, which had pretty much zero effect when the reaction took on. Water, even with conc lye, does not absorb NO2 in such quantities a single trap would be sufficient.

I took care of the issue by fixing my fume hood directly to the overhead stove hood, which pulls stuff up to the skies safely. Now I can just put the hose directly on the suction of my hood to vent all nasties directly to the atmosphere. Prior, I used activated carbon filter.

High risk occupations do indeed use rebreather with air reservoir or external positive pressure air supply via line. HCN is one of such stuff that is instructed to be handled only with such equipment, never with respirator mask only. This may of course differ in an industrial setting where several tons of cyanides can be handled and hence even small fumes can bring concentrations up to immediately fatal levels. Compared to a chemist handling a pound-bottle of KCN very briefly with a spatula, the difference is huge.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 14-11-2020 at 03:33

Inverted funnel? Yes, I've used inverted funnel set-ups. Mostly with HCl gas. But, the funnel is used as a collector, connected to a remote water-driven aspirator pump. Which sucks gases to a distant location, and entrains them in water. This is an active system. Intervening traps may be added

I know that some folks direct exhaust gasses into an inverted funnel, large end, inverted over water, expecting the water to suck up the noxious gases. Never tried it.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top