Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rye grown in Martian soil
Speaker2112
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 3-9-2016 at 22:25
Rye grown in Martian soil

The first data from my continuation of last years project that took me to states as an alternate. The first freshmen from my school to go. This subject will be my 10th grade project as well. I am growing various crops, specifically rye, in soil that simulates the soil on mars. The data shown is the mass of a 7cm piece of rye. Martian soil in red and plants grown in earth soil in blue. What do you guys think?

[Edited on 4-9-2016 by Speaker2112]

Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 2.23.32 AM.png - 28kBScreen Shot 2016-09-04 at 2.26.09 AM.png - 40kB
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 23:51

Interesting concept for an investigation.
Round here, most will find the soil itself of more interest than the plants -- would you care to provide details of the martian soil that you are simulating and how you have managed to produce something similar?

And what exactly is the composition of your control? What convinces you that your control will make a suitable comparison? If you have chosen a soil that is good for growing rye then what does that tell you about your "martian soil"

You have produced some plant data but that graph is crap. It really tells the reader nothing. If you want to make a comparison between your two tests of data you really need to construct two histograms on exactly the same scale. Then you will have something that can be compared. Excel does not produce histograms except under great duress.

Is the difference between the two data sets significant?
You need to calculate the standard deviation for both data sets. Both the mean and standard deviation are easy in Excel.

Once you have done these calculations there is a process to find out if there is any statistical difference between the two data sets. The actual calculations are not difficult but if you have not met it before you will need someone to guide you through the process and explain the reasoning behind it.

IOW, this is a good start but some sophistication is needed in your data processing to make any sense of your results.

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 01:52

The data might mean more if you also used a clinostat to simulate the gravity or lack of on Mars.

Maybe Mars soil would grow Rye well for the conditions on that planet. Cool idea for an experiment but alor of variables to think of.

How did you make the Martian soil?
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 05:40

I would actually advise against using a clinostat to attempt simulating lower gravity. It's better to test one variable at a time.

Also, by my calculations (F-test and T-test), there is no significant difference (P=0.05) between both the variances and the means. The actual P-values are 0.37 and 0.49, respectively.

[Edited on 9-4-2016 by Metacelsus]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 06:03

If there was a difference then surely that would only tell you that mars soil is/is not any good on earth?

What did you use for soil composition?

Was it sterile? Experiments like this are interesting.

Perchlorate in Martian soil!! I bet that made the pyro's sit up!

[Edited on 4-9-2016 by NEMO-Chemistry]
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 10:38

As others have mentioned, a histogram, boxplot and/or beeswarm/strip plot showing the two distributions would be most visually meaningful. For quantitative analysis, you'll want a statistical test like the two-tailed independent t-test. Google around and you'll find helpful discussions like this:
http://vassarstats.net/textbook/ch11pt1.html

You'll also probably want to make some snazzy, publication-quality graphics for your report and poster. I do general-purpose programming in Python, which has decent statistical and graphing modules, but if you're interested in data analysis specifically, you might want to look into learning R, which is built specifically for things like quick t-tests and dank graphs. Here are some useful links:
http://www.cookbook-r.com/Graphs/Plotting_distributions_(ggplot2)/
http://docs.ggplot2.org/0.9.3.1/geom_boxplot.html
http://www.cbs.dtu.dk/~eklund/beeswarm/
http://www.statmethods.net/stats/ttest.html

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-9-2016 at 08:07

It would be more usual to use the weight of the whole plant in the analysis.

Depending how you selected the pieces and/or if you selected several pieces from each plant you may have introduce a bias or additional variance in to the data.

If the reason for taking several pieces from each plant is to only increase the number of measurements or because your scales do not have the range to measure a complete plant it would be better to calculate total mass of each plant then use those totals in your analysis.

Go To Top