Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Decreasing the chain lenght by one on an aromatic
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 24-10-2006 at 07:07
Decreasing the chain lenght by one on an aromatic

Have been trying to find a way to decrease the alkyl chain on an aromatic where the only active site is an amine on the c2 carbon and the benzyl ring. There are methods to reduce the chain lenght as a result of reducing a COOH or some other active end, but have not found one to reduce a CH3 from a alkyl chain......solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 24-10-2006 at 07:40

Chromic acid is used to eat CH3 sidegroups but when applied to alkyl chains it would jsut eat away the whole thing. Perhaps slowly oxidizing it to COOH and the heating to release the CO2?

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-10-2006 at 10:52

Perhaps if I clarify the theoretical goal ...............

https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=4184#pid4...

the resutling acetylamine ketone type product can have the ketone reduced but the resulting chain is one too many....so perhaps there is a reaction that will reduce a ketone by one carbon would work and so the thread.......

https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6549#pid7...

...but in all the seemingly easy route the the amine is more eluding as first thought.... ....solo

not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-10-2006 at 21:07

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerro
Chromic acid is used to eat CH3 sidegroups but when applied to alkyl chains it would jsut eat away the whole thing. Perhaps slowly oxidizing it to COOH and the heating to release the CO2?

And generally would start at the carbon attached to the aromatic ring.

This is a tough one, solo. I remember seeing something once where an imine was formed and then tautomeric shift gave a vinyl-amine, making C4 allylic. But
1) that would have to compete with the benzyl hydrogens for whatever reaction was selected to tag that carbon
and 2) I can't remember any details, including where I saw it. 8-(
It'd be a long shot, I'm afraid.

This looks like some sort of emzymatic task, where the C4 would be pulled into place and activated by some clever large molecule. I can't remember seeing any such enzyme or enzyme mimicking agent, but then I haven't been sarching for such.
WizardX
Hazard to Self

Mood: wizardx.suddenlaunch3.com

[*] posted on 25-10-2006 at 02:58

Chain Extension via the Arndt - Eistert Reaction & Decarboxylation.
http://wizardx.t35.com/archives/XFile6.zip

Albert Einstein - \"Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.\"
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2006 at 06:46

Quote:
Originally posted by WizardX
Chain Extension via the Arndt - Eistert Reaction & Decarboxylation.
http://wizardx.t35.com/archives/XFile6.zip

Useful, except that

A) the chain needs to be shortened by a carbon, not extended

B) the end of the chain is a fairly unreactive methyl group, not a carboxyl or derivative thereof.

C) lesser problem - diazomethane is expensive, explosive, uses pretty toxic materials, and is likely to react with the amino group as is the acyl halide.

Outside of those points, you've solved the problem!
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2006 at 07:29

The chain starts off as a ketone after the dakin-west reaction where the amine group gets acylated and the COOH is converted to a ketone......I somehow thought it would be easier to remove the methyl group once the ketone was reduced but perhaps there is a reaction similar to a reduction of COOH minus one carbon which is nice, but if applied to the starting material on this reaction it would produce benzyl cyanide*...
------------------------------------------
*Ref provided by psloxy

Syn.Lett.; EN; 4; 2003; 542 - 546 - NBS, ammonium chloride, DMF
J.Amer.Chem.Soc.; EN; 106; 20; 1984; 6075-6076 electrooxidation 80% yield <__ could be interesting OTC-wise
Indian J.Chem.Sect.A; EN; 19; 4; 1980; 325-329. CAT
J.Indian Chem.Soc.; EN; 69; 10; 1992; 642-647 dichloramine-B, perchloric acid
J.Chem.Soc.Perkin Trans.2; EN; 1983; 323-334. chloramine-T
Synthesis; EN; 5; 1996; 600-602.CuBr2 t-BuOLi, 53% yield
J.Chem.Sect.A; EN; 27; 1; 1988; 39-43. chloramine-T, perchloric acid
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...........unless there is a similar reaction that will reduce the ketone and reduce the chain by one , I would imagine having the ketone gives it a better chance of removing a methyl, group we'll see,.....I hope this gives a better picture............solo

labi
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-10-2006 at 07:41

getting a glycol at the desired point and periodate oxidation leads to the corresponding aldehydes which further can be reduced. i understand this is very long but this came to my mind
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2006 at 18:23

With the (protected) amino-ketone you might more readly get the terminal methyl to react, but it is going to be a few steps to get the target.

It might be easier to clamp something really electron withdrawing onto the amino group (TFA? mesylate? triflate?), and try the Kolbe electrolysis route.
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 19:58

Radical Chain Reduction of Alkyl Halides, Dialkyl Sulphides and 0-Alkyl S-Methyl Dithiocarbonates to Alkanes by Trialkylsilanes
Stephen J. Cole, J. Nicholas Kirwan, Brian P. Roberts* and Colin R. Willis Christopher lngold
J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 1, 1991, 103 - 112

Abstract
Saturated primary, secondary and tertiary alkyl halides RX (X = CI, Br or I) are reduced to the corresponding alkanes RH in essentially quantitative yield by triethylsilane in refluxing hexane or cyclohexane in the presence of a suitable initiator and an alkanethiol catalyst. Reduction proceeds by a radical chain mechanism and the thiol acts as a polarity reversal catalyst which mediates hydrogen-atom transfer from the Si-H group of the silane to the alkyl radical R'. Triphenylsilanethiol and perfluorohexanesulphenyl chloride are also effective catalysts; the latter is probably reduced in situ to the corresponding fluorinated thiol. Other silanes R,SiH (R = Pr", Pr' or Ph) also bring about reduction. The silane-thiol couple therefore serves as a useful replacement for tributylstannane as a homolytic reducing agent for alkyl halides. Reduction of 6-bromohex-l-ene, to give a mixture of hex-1 -ene and methylcyclopentane, is more sluggush than reduction of saturated halides and this is attributed to removal of the thiol catalyst by addition across the C=C bond. Ethyl 4- bromobutanoate is smoothly reduced to ethyl butanoate without interference from the ester function. Dialkyl sulphides are reduced to alkanes by triethylsilane in a radical chain reaction, but the effect of added thiol depends on the nature of the S-alkyl groups in the sulphide. The trialkylsilane thiol couple can also successfully replace trialkylstannane as the reducing agent in the Barton- McCombie deoxygenation of primary and secondary alcohols via their S-methyl dithiocarbonate (xanthate) esters. Good yields of deoxy compounds are obtained from octan-1 -01, octan-2-01, octadecan- 1 -01, 5a-cholestan -3p-01, cholesterol and 1,2 : 5,6-di - 0- isopropylidene-a- D-g lucofuranose.

Attachment: Radical Chain Reduction of Alkyl Halides, Dialkyl Sulphides and 0-Alkyl S-Methyl Dithiocarbonates to Alkanes by Trialky (1.3MB)
This file has been downloaded 1612 times

Go To Top