Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: literature searches
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-9-2016 at 10:14
literature searches

Ok seems simple, but maybe it isnt as simple as it seems.

So i was wondering how others do a search, is it just a case of google scholar and going through the results? Or do you use specific search engines or journal searches?

The reason for asking is lately i have needed to look for papers, google scholar was my first choice, but it can take ages to go through the results with the papers you want being hidden way down in the results.

Often on here people say they have searched the literature, but it got me wondering where most start the search?

Maybe its more a case of getting good at using the right search terms, or maybe there are better places than google scholar to search?

Anyway any hints or tips may help me and others search better.

thanks
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 13-9-2016 at 10:44

I have access to ACS journals through any state library. But I don't know if other US residents have this.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-9-2016 at 10:54

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
I have access to ACS journals through any state library. But I don't know if other US residents have this.

I think ACS journals can be searched online via the website, the abstracts are readable and then erm, well erm.....you know use the magic number.

So in short you use ACS? Can the journals be searched as one or do you have to select each journal in turn?? So far i havnt found a way to do a complete search just a journal by journal search.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 13-9-2016 at 11:11

I can search by citation or by subject.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-9-2016 at 11:17

Yes i found the button to search the site or just the selected journal, huge amount of information on there!
Scalebar
Hazard to Self

Mood: Looking for a way out

[*] posted on 14-9-2016 at 05:20

I've got access to Sciencedirect, I usually start with keywords and refine by citation.

I'm lucky to work for a university and have access to pretty much anything via our vast number of subscriptions but I'm thoroughly opposed to knowledge being hidden behind paywalls. If you need a paper that you don't have access to, twitter comes in handy - #icanhazpdf with the reference and and email address and someone will usually oblige
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-9-2016 at 10:14

Quote: Originally posted by Scalebar  
I've got access to Sciencedirect, I usually start with keywords and refine by citation.

I'm lucky to work for a university and have access to pretty much anything via our vast number of subscriptions but I'm thoroughly opposed to knowledge being hidden behind paywalls. If you need a paper that you don't have access to, twitter comes in handy - #icanhazpdf with the reference and and email address and someone will usually oblige

Cheers thats handy.

Am i correct in thinking most papers are on Sci-hub though?

Some of the pay walls are horrific! £37 for a single paper!! What makes it worse is some journals charge for submitted papers???? How is that right.
Scalebar
Hazard to Self

Mood: Looking for a way out

[*] posted on 14-9-2016 at 23:45

I've never used Sci-Hub though I'm aware of it. Elsevier's a big offender on the charges front but many journals charge more for a single paper than for the whole issue.
And yes - they charge us researchers for publishing our work and charge extra for every figure included, and we dumb arses let them because our jobs are at threat if we don't publish in the right journals. There is the interlibrary loans system but if I need to look up a protocol I need the answer in a couple hours not a week later when my cells have gone off.
Whoa, how much coffee did I have this morning? Rant over ( for the moment ).....
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2016 at 04:31

Quote: Originally posted by Scalebar  
I've never used Sci-Hub though I'm aware of it. Elsevier's a big offender on the charges front but many journals charge more for a single paper than for the whole issue.
And yes - they charge us researchers for publishing our work and charge extra for every figure included, and we dumb arses let them because our jobs are at threat if we don't publish in the right journals. There is the interlibrary loans system but if I need to look up a protocol I need the answer in a couple hours not a week later when my cells have gone off.
Whoa, how much coffee did I have this morning? Rant over ( for the moment ).....

I had no idea how twisted the system is, i just dont see how you can charge people to publish! No one publishes a paper and you dont have a journal, surely in any right thinking world the people publishing should be paid??

I used to feel guilty using sci hub, i had assumed i was doing researchers out of money from the journals. Now i know how it works i dont feel guilty.

Maybe its wrong but so is charging for knowledge twice.

Go To Top