Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hydroxycobalamine as cyanide antidote?
Cloner
Hazard to Others

Mood: apocalyptic

[*] posted on 26-10-2006 at 12:33
hydroxycobalamine as cyanide antidote?

When working with cyanides, I did everything as well as I could; smoking a cigarette at the work to detect HCN (never mind the fire hazard) and using a hood. But still I get the red color and thirst due to working up a cyanide containing organic even if I never got a real high dose, it is a longer term low exposure. The fume hood is simply not good enough to contain it all. It's not upscalable if things remain this way.

Now there are cyanide antidotes allright and I have an emergency capsule in a cyanide kit for acute poisoning. But this longer term effect, can it be contained with using hydroxy-cobalamine before the work (it is a sort of vitamin and seems harmless enough)?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 26-10-2006 at 12:34

Can you get a bigger fan put in?

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 26-10-2006 at 19:42

Gas mask or preferably an air line respirator connected to a remote supply.
Elawr
Hazard to Others

Mood: vitriolic

[*] posted on 27-10-2006 at 00:31

Sodium thiosulfate is an antidote for cyanide, and some studies suggest an increase in the lethal dose of cyanide for animals pretreated with it. The human dose is 10 to 20 grams for an adult with acute poisoning. No clear guideline for pre-exposure prophylaxis in humans, but at least sodium thiosulfate is relatively nontoxic. Also you can test your urine afterwards with an Fe salt to see if you did pick up any cyanide. It would show up in the urine as red SCN- complex with the iron. I believe I'd want to have a bit of thiosulfate on board myself if I was about to get into some cyanides. :D

One question though,... how does smokin on a cig help you detect HCN in the lab?

[Edited on 27-10-2006 by Elawr]

Cloner
Hazard to Others

Mood: apocalyptic

[*] posted on 27-10-2006 at 09:26

you taste it before smelling due to smoking. In fact, when I smell it, the dose is enough to make me turn away for a bit before continuing. I think some people don't smell it at all before it gets ugly. Its an advice from a book written in the 19th century, before there were nonsmoking area's. Before there were any regulations against smoking in the lab too:D

Sodium thiosulfate is part of the cyanide kit. Its for 'after treatment' for poisoning after the 'immediate treatment' capsule is used. I can see why it would be useful to take it before exposure, after all most cyanide poisonings are not as deliberate as mine;)

But using a gas mask seems to be the most practical thing to do... Why didn't I think of this the first time :P I'll look for an acid filter then...
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 27-10-2006 at 10:57

I think some of the Israeli military stuff is already rated for HCN and isn't too expensive.

Go To Top