Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: phenol senthesis
phangue
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-11-2006 at 19:09
phenol senthesis

Sometimes it's just convenient to ask a friend a casual question without taking valuable time to research it. You know--a quick answer. Perhaps such a person is really the smart one, and those calling people "asshole", lazy, or implying they are stupid are really the dumb ones.

Why don't we just answer the question helpfully?

Seems to me that I read the other day that phenol may be derived by simply distilling salicylic acid.
Darkblade48
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-11-2006 at 21:56

Is this supposed to be in response to KFC's thread on whether or not neutralizing salicylic acid with NaOH would yield phenol?

These types of "casual questions" should be of second nature to people like KFC if they had spent a little time reading, or even those with a general chemistry background. It should be easily assumed that salicylic acid, like any other acid, on reaction with sodium hydroxide would form a salt and water, and not phenol.

In addition, is it often better to research and learn the knowledge yourself? It is not for us to spoonfeed knowledge to people, rather, an active research and reading should be undertaken by the uneducated before asking "stupid" questions.

Also, if you say that phenol may be derived by distilling salicylic acid, do you have a source on this? References? Experimental data? Anecdotal evidence is not strong enough in a science based community.
phangue
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 08:41

Thank you Darkblade47

The ref. phenol from salicylic acid by distillation is an old one for sure. See A DICTIONARY OF CHEMISTRY AND ALLIED BRANCHES OF OTHER SCIENCES VOL 4
p. 389 prep. 2 about half way down the page.

You say that, "it is not for us to spoon feed knowledge to people...". What do you mean, "us"?
Out of our vast membership, there must be many teachers like myself who are willilng to spoon feed whomever needs it.

God, I wish I knew 10% of what you know, but I believe that there are no stupid questions, and that it is better not to respond to any that we consider stupid with any kind of put-down.
phangue
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 17:19
phenol again

Anyone interested it phenol should consult A DICTIONARY OF CHEMISTRY AND ALLIED BRANCHES OF OTHER SCIENCES, vol. 4 p. 389—phenol from distilling salicylic acid, phenol from a derivative of white willow bark (provided it tastes bitter), even a procedure involving pee-pee! This book is at the old-book site, if anyone is interested.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 17:42

It is spelled 'synthesis'. Not senthesis. Please change it.

Would you like to tell us what this rambling is about? I am not following.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
phangue
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 19:27
phenol

Sorry! two points well taken. This forum thing is new to me. I don't type well and I ramble a lot. I will be more careful.
dapper
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 17:41

It's alright. Your just on the receiving end of some attitude.

It is perfectly reasonable that one who has spent a lot of time studying and learning about something would feel a connection to, even protective of their knowledge... and not understand why someone couldn't 'quickly learn' any particular part of their understanding... but the simple fact is that the learning curve for some topics is very steep.. and we all are at different points in our search for understanding/quest for knowledge..

That said - I don't know much .. but what I have I'll share, even in little bite sized, pre-chewed morsels - If you can pry my attention away from my notes/texts.
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 20:05

The more one learns the more there is to learn....sometimes sharing what one knows helps to reaffirm and hammer into those little gray cells the information for a long stay......here is a book that will assist you in your inquiry.................solo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chemistry of Phenols

http://rapidshare.com/files/2975933/Wiley_The_Chemistry_of_P...

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 20:44

There is also a reluctance to just spoonfeed things to people for safety reasons. If someone is asking a relatively simple question in regards to a highly dangerous substance/topic, we don't want to be spoonfeeding them. If they go and try to work with that substance and get themselves or others hurt/killed, we as a community will take the blame. The more often people do stupid things and hurt themselves with chemicals, the harder it is for the responsible chemists here on this board to acquire the materials they need.

This forum IS about learning, but not where we just tell people complex procedures when it's obvious that they have no clue what is being said. Chemistry isn't like cooking where you get a recipe and mix things together and get a cake. To think that it is would result in people getting severely hurt. When you bake a cake and add flour and sugar together then mix it, you don't have to analyze what's happening. When you conduct an experiment in chemistry and mix two substances together, you have to account for everything that might take place and prepare for it.

Finally, we don't like to just spoonfeed the same answer over and over and over again. It is insulting to expect the forum members here to do all the work for someone when they could have easily typed into the search engine and found their answer. :D

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.

Go To Top