Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemical Supplies
sirius_cm
Harmless

Mood: Tetrahedral

[*] posted on 17-5-2003 at 17:42
Chemical Supplies

I am distressed because Im not really sure how to get basic chemicals.

I love chemistry, I love seeing how stuf works. Im trying to learn more about it, and im trying to collect all of the 92(well most of em even tho some are radioactive).

Im 17 years old, and dont just brush me off, im just like you guys. I love playing with my mercury samples, listening to its sound when shaken. I love watching videos of different reactions.

I've done some reasearch, and the best place I see to buy chemicals is Alfa Aesar, but their very expensive, and they prolly wont send stuff to me. So my question is this: How should i get real chemicals? My parents love the fact that i love chemistry and will prolly buy them for me, so where do you get your stuff at?

I mean, im talking basics like conc. sulfuric acids and hydrochloric acids. None of that 50% pool sulfuric acid crap. I just feel limited, and now that I found you guys, I am in heaven, I just know that this is gonna turn into some cool experiments.

Well your input would really help me out, thanx

Alpha Canis Major
\"The Enemy Gate is Down\"
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 17-5-2003 at 18:17

Your best sources of chemicals will most likely be the Hardware/Do It Yourself Store or the Automotive Store. Often times, Automotive Chemicals are sold in the Hardware Store.

More specifically, try the cleaning, pool, and plumbing sections in the Hardware Store. Get in the habit of turning the bottle around and reading the labels.

Often, you will find that the bottles labeled "WARNING" and "DANGER" have the more interesting and more pure chemicals... The ones with "CAUTION" don't usually have anything interesting. This is, of course, from my personal observation :).
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 17-5-2003 at 19:13

www.al-chymist.com is a good source of chemicals and equipment at reasonable prices.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
sirius_cm
Harmless

Mood: Tetrahedral

[*] posted on 18-5-2003 at 11:56

I love it: California has determined that any private individual who wishes to spend more than $100 on chemicals and/or laboratory equipment must be a criminal and must be reported to the Department of (In)Justice (HS11107). Because we do not wish to do business with criminals please keep your orders under $100 (from www.al-chymist.com)

Heh, im glad I dont live in California

Alpha Canis Major
\"The Enemy Gate is Down\"

Go To Top