Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Indole
dapper
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2006 at 16:30
Indole

writing a paper on Indole. Anyone have some little bits or pieces that are worth writing about? It's supposed to be relatively non-technical, so I was looking for pieces of information like 'it's in human feces', etc. Trying to make this paper somewhat interesting to read.. I mean.. you can't talk about Leimgruber-Batcho synthesis for three pages without boring most people to tears

Thanks again

dapp
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 11:02

IIRC Tyranian purple (of Roman emperor's toga fame) is an indole derivative. It's also one of the few naturally occuring organobromine compounds and involves one of the stinkiest manufacturing processes known- the rotting down of lots of small shellfish.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 14:51

At low concentrations, indole has a flowery smell and is used in perfumes and other scents.

Core structure of essential amino acid tryptophan, the neurotransmitter serotonin, the hormone melatonin, the plant hormone family of the auxins, and a whole slew of other tryptamines of which many are physiologically or psychotropically active.

Five minutes on google or wiki should get you plenty of information.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 15:14

There is an indole ring in tryptophan, the stuff in turkeys that makes one sleepy.

Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 16:03

Quote:
Originally posted by dapper
I mean.. you can't talk about Leimgruber-Batcho synthesis for three pages without boring most people to tears

Thanks again

dapp

Well if they want to be amuzed let them watch TV... wikipedia has some general discussion on indole and also a bunch of refs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indole

organometallic
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-8-2007 at 12:32

@The_Davster, tryptophan is not soporific. That is a myth, formed perhaps from observations of sleepy people who have had too much alcoholic drinks at Christmas meals, thanksgiving, etc.
Turkey has no higher tryptophan levels than any other meat. Sorry :P -------OM

In vials of ivory and coloured glass
Unstoppered, lurked her strange synthetic perfumes,
Unguent, powdered, or liquid - troubled, confused
And drowned the sense in odours.
DerAlte
National Hazard

Mood: Disgusted

[*] posted on 19-8-2007 at 13:40

Skatole is 3-methyl indole, responsible for the odor of feces. Indole itself also smells foul unless highly dilute, when it smells of violets. The scents of honeysuckle, orange blossom, mock orange (syringa), gardenia, confederate jasmone are all due to substituted indoles (maybe that's why I can't stand them!). Skatole is actually used in perfumery, beleive it or not.

And its a componemt of my favorite pipe tobacco flavoring agent , Perique Tobacco from Louisiana.

Indole is aslo called benzopyrrole because it's a pyrrole ring fused to a benzene. It can be made by boiling dichloroethyl ether (ClCH2)CHCl-O-C2H5and aniline in water.

Der Alte
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 19-8-2007 at 19:48

In WWII the OSS and British SOE used a compound known as "Who, me?" to cause Japanese officers to appear to have defecated in ther uniform trousers.

Almost certainly this was indole or skatole based.

Go To Top