Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Recruits!!
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

thumbup.gif posted on 4-12-2006 at 20:47
Recruits!!

Well apparently my constant references to my home lab in chem lecture and lab has had an effect on people. I am rather open about my hobby with others affiliated with the chemistry department.

1 Person has gone nuts buying equipment(the joys of money :P), as his family has let him have half the garage as a lab, and let him get a fume hood installed(lucky, I am not allowed to modify my house). Not sure how much experimenting he has done, but if his equipment buying spree keeps up he will surpass me in equipment. Perhaps not in glass...but in hardware for sure! Already has a vaccuum pump.

1 person kinda wants to start but lives in such an area (university residence) that they are unable to start.

1 person is interested but never thought of doing such things at home. For a month or so of conversation he assumed the experiments I was doing were in a professor's lab, hilarity ensued when he realized otherwise.:D

1 person lives in residence and has done a good deal of experiments.

1 person(girl!) has kind of started, but her parents are less than supportive.

Really I am surprised how well it has been recieved up here. Some proffs even think it is awesome, and most are seemingly indifferent, a few think it is a little weird but don't seem to have a problem, only one(that I know of) seems completly against such things. One even cracks jokes about it in the middle of class, infront of >100 people, with a positive spin on it!:D

The above people have the link here I think, but I do not know how much each of them likes internet boards.

Really, it is nice that there are other sane people. Mind you mentioning this to anyone not affiliated with chemistry is completly different.:o Like the sheeple in the english department.

Anyone else get other people interested?

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 4-12-2006 at 23:41

I am working for a big IT-company, doing software development for customers in the area where I live.
To my surprise I received an email from a person, who has been my team manager for a while. He left our company and started working somewhere else. He had stumbled across my website and immediately contacted me about it, telling that he really liked it and wanted to do experimenting himself, together with his kids.

He has visited me already and I have shown him my little home lab and did two nice experiment with his kids (mixing a few mg of red P + some of my home-made KBrO3 giving a small bang and evaporating a crystal of iodine, nice purple vapors).

I also am quite open about my experimenting and many people react in a positive way, also people from outside the chemistry world. I also obtained negative reactions, surprisingly from someone who is working in the field of chemistry. That person has the opinion that no chemicals other than the plain cleaning stuff belongs outside an official registered laboratory.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 5-12-2006 at 16:45

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
I also am quite open about my experimenting and many people react in a positive way, also people from outside the chemistry world. I also obtained negative reactions, surprisingly from someone who is working in the field of chemistry. That person has the opinion that no chemicals other than the plain cleaning stuff belongs outside an official registered laboratory.

Ok, I'm quite sure that person working in the field has not seen your superb website! Good work Woelen, experimenters like you make the rest of us look good.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron

Go To Top