Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SodiumChloride Electrolysis question
rsgpit
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2006 at 14:49
SodiumChloride Electrolysis question

I have been able to successfuly electrolyze sodium chloride(99% sure the reaction is taking place), by using a DC welding machine to firstly melt the salt with the arc, and then using the high DC current to actually split the molecule. I get a black solid and a formation of white gas. My guess is that the atmospheric oxygen is acting on the sodium and making Na2O, and a chlorine oxygen compound, or secondly they are recombining to make vaporized salt.

How would I keep oxygen out of the reaction relatively easily?( I was thinking using Sodium Carbonate mixed with salt to create CO2 upon decomp of the carbonate), and secondly how to keep the two highly reactively elements apart. My goal is to get elemental Sodium
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 06:36

Use the search engine. We have quite a few MASSIVE threads in regards to creating sodium metal. Basically, how you have it set up absolutely, 100% will not work.

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.

Go To Top