Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: chemistry of feldspars, silicates, basalt, etc...
CrossxD
Hazard to Self

Mood: stainless

[*] posted on 26-2-2017 at 03:09
chemistry of feldspars, silicates, basalt, etc...

How can I extract elements from feldspars?
I know that all tectosilicates are quite resistant and I dont have any hydrofluoric acid....would molten sodium hydroxide work? or is there other OTC chemical, which etch silicates??
thank you
CrossxD
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 26-2-2017 at 03:30

you really need HF. I have had limited success with most other reagents. AR is slow. Sometimes strong H2O2 added in makes a difference

Beginning construction of periodic table display
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 26-2-2017 at 04:14

I don't really know if this is also a feldspar but for the isolation of Beryllium there is also a path using H2SO4 instead of HF. Maybe this could work with your samples as well ?

http://www.periodensystem-online.de/index.php?id=&el=4

If you look at the white box it's path b).

EDIT:

Sorry the site just went offline after I posted that link...interesting coincidence :D and I just saw it's back up again but still missing the content I was referring to. Hope it will return soon but there was a white box in the middle of the page before with the equations.

[Edited on 26-2-2017 by fluorescence]

Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2017 at 05:22

Assuming you don't want to wait geological timescales you have two options; HF as you have already alluded to or flux fusion. The flux can be any alkali hydroxide, carbonate etc or calcium hydroxide but the later requires higher temperatures and complicates the down stream extraction. For chemical analysis its not uncommon to use lithium borates too to lower the melting point of the mass. But why would you want to extract anything from feldspars (there are many feldspars, the name is a group name for M+AlSi3O8 and M2+Al2Si2O8 where M+ is usually Na or K and M2+ is usually Ca) there are far easier ways to get your hands on these elements. Superheated water turns feldspars into zeolites but this takes a long time under conditions you are likely to be able to achieve.

Go To Top