Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Creatine degradation
Endo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Cold

[*] posted on 27-12-2006 at 11:28
Creatine degradation

I recently came across some creatine powder ~99%. I was thinking about what I could do with this and was interested in trying to figure out the conditions needed to decarboxalate it.

I know the classical conditions for decarboxylation include a high boiling point solvent, a ketone (cyclohexone or acetone) as well as in some cases copper salts to catalyze the reaction.

1) I am unsure if the dimethyl guanidine left would remain or would degrade under these conditions.

I have found very little information about conditions needed to hydrolyze creatine (to form acetic acid , MeOH, and guanidine.)

2)Would strong acidic conditions (acid hydrolysis) decompose the guanidine?

Just looking for something fun to use this stuff for, since I am not really interested in eating it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Endo
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-12-2006 at 12:18

Quote:
Originally posted by Endo
I know the classical conditions for decarboxylation include a high boiling point solvent, a ketone (cyclohexone or acetone) as well as in some cases copper salts to catalyze the reaction.

Creatine obviously can not be decarboxylated by the use of ketone as catalyst since this requires an alpha -NH2 group (or utmost an -NHR) in order to form the imine/enamine intermediate. Perhaps it decarboxylates by pyrolysis of its hydrochloride or under other such conditions, but I have not checked the literature (do that yourself if you can).
Quote:
I have found very little information about conditions needed to hydrolyze creatine (to form acetic acid , MeOH, and guanidine.)

Hydrolyze which bond? There is nothing to hydrolyze in creatine. Utmost one could hydrolyze the guanidine part to 2 equivalents of ammonia, CO2 and N-methylglycine, but I have no idea of how harsh the required conditions would have to be.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Endo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Cold

[*] posted on 27-12-2006 at 15:11

Nicodem,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have looked at the old ochem notebook and I now see that I had picked up a misunderstanding of how decarboxylation occurs.

Without a NH2 or a diketone in the alpha position the carboxolic acid is not going anywhere.

After doing some searching I found this link that indicates hydrolysis to urea and n-methyl glycene.

pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/abstract.cgi/jafcau/2004/52/i17/abs/jf049421g.html

Unfortunately I can only access the abstract.

In any case it indicates to me that the contrary to my expectations the guanidine section is indeed the only portion that can easily be broken down.

On a side note N-methyl glycene has been studied in combination with some drugs to help with schizophrenia. Since this doesn't intrest me, I will look into using it is a starting block for some other experments.

thanks

Go To Top