Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Hotplate/Stirrer
grndpndr
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2008 at 20:14

Being extremly low buck ive used air agitation from a set of aquarium air condensers and glass tubing output into the beaker etc to provide a mild stirring action where several hours are involved this has woked satisfactorly for me in several applications with ccaisonal hand strring.The introduction of air to some synthesis isnt advisable but for my needs has been adequate as the air pumps cost me$ 0.Crude ,absolutely! but when on a budget the outcome is the point not sophistication.HAve also used this low buck approach for homemade nitric acid distillation with occaisonal need to replace some components but fully fnctional with minimal investments producing 95%+ nitric acid depending on sulfuric acid concentration.Im all into making a minimal footprint from equipment to precursors.FWIW.:D
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 17-8-2008 at 23:35

i found this on ebay, i dont live in america and so i wouldnt want to buy it however i thought it looked quite a good deal, 3l rbf and mantle...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/308-Value-Glas-Col-Heating-Mantle-3L-P...
TDCFMOG
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 3-9-2008 at 23:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiakin
Hello all. I've been lurking around for a while but it's time to register since I need your help :)

Like the original topic starter I would also like to purchase a good hotplate/stirrer. Which would be the best surface material ? I've heard that Fisher is a very good brand ?

I'm also wondering if anyone had any experience with this kind of hotplate/stirrer or knows where they can be bought ? Or just the reaction block if a combo isn't a avaliable. The reaction block would make heat transfer as good as a heating mantle, IMO.

[Edited on 5-8-2008 by Kiakin]

[Edited on 5-8-2008 by Kiakin]

Chemglass sells it for their hotplate/stirrer.

OptiTherm® Reaction Block, Round Bottom

Also

PIE-BLOCK, Reaction Block

[Edited on 4-9-2008 by TDCFMOG]

"All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous." -Paracelsus
tapira1
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 6-9-2008 at 17:44
Hot plate stirrer

My preferred hot plate stirrer is the Nouva II. It is old fashioned, but stirring is superb and reproducible, starts heating at 37ºC, is affordable and heating block can be placed atop with good results. The only con: It is too "bulky".
grndpndr
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 22:24

Is there a place/category for Homebuilt hotplate /agitator?
That works by virtue of vibrating a$12 coil hotplate attached to a 1/2 in. ply base using 2 vibrators liberated from an old massaging chair.Tryed to get some from whorehouse in deadwood motel bed but no luck.Anyway the 2 electric vibrating assemblys are mounted
through rubber attachment points to reduce noise on either side of the hotplate which is also attached to the ply with rubber isolators again to reduce oberved noise while still allowing the vibrating agitation to act on the hotplate beaker
and of course its 2 speed as the vibrators are seperately operated.beats heck out of constant stirring but is definetly NOT a magntic stirrer but it d0es mix hell out of things.As my lab is the out of doors indoor synthesis and wifes opinion and children dont mix well from the wifes standpoint and i admit Im forced to agree.To that end assembly of the components is restricted to small easily moved /set-up component parts.

The beaker/glassware is prevented from vibrating off the hotplate by the wire mesh attached to the heating coils by individual wires cut and fitted from the mesh cover the remainder f the mesh covering bent up to prevent the beaker etc from vibrating off the hotplate.

[Edited on 20-9-2008 by grndpndr]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top