Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium tripolyphosphate.
Furch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-1-2007 at 15:06
Sodium tripolyphosphate.

Hello!

I've got an old bag (yes, bag) of sodium tripolyphosphate. I've have little or no use of this salt... However I do have use of various phosporic acids.

Question: Is there anyone in this forum who knows a way to hydrolyze this trimeric phosphoric acid salt into its monomer acid or its salt (I assume the acid can be made by simple protonation by sulphuric acid from the corresponding acid salt)?

Thanks in advance!

- Furch
Furch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-1-2007 at 13:11

What does it mean when the forum information about this thread shows "-1" replies?

Does it mean that my original post sucked, or what?
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 19-1-2007 at 14:03

I suppose you could add an appropriate amount of calcium chloride to the solution, then filter off the ppt of insoluble calcium phosphates, then wash the ppt and react that with H2SO4 to ppt calcium sulfate and leave phosphoric acid in solution. Of course, this is impractical unless you have a lot of sulfuric acid.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 19-1-2007 at 14:03

:D Furch that is a good one! I think that makes sense and propose (with your permission) to the board administration that it become standard policy. :D

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top