Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CuO/Ca(So4)2 for reducing dialkylimines (Ketone + alkylamine)
womble
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 28-1-2007 at 12:45
CuO/Ca(So4)2 for reducing dialkylimines (Ketone + alkylamine)

I just found this, it is a patent for the preparation of a cheap, easy catalyst (read OTC) for the reduction of the imine product of ketones and alkylimines

US Patent No. 2828343

http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?IDX=US2828343&CY=gb&...

[Sorry, I can't work out how to turn this into a hyperlink)

Unfortunately the patent is only rated for reactions occurring at 200C and between 150-1500 psi. (however, so was Platinum dioxide). It would be interesting to see if this catalyst could be used at lower temp's & pressures?

It consists of a homogenous mixture of CuO + Ca(SO4)2, prepared (according to the patent) by adding CuSO4 to a paste of CaOH and then heating the mixture to form the CuO (it goes brown apparently).

This would appear to provide a way cheaper (and simpler) alternative to the purchase and preparation of PtO(2), Pd/C, Ra/Ni, etc. and be more environmentally responsible than Al/Hg. It would certainly make me smile if it were possible to use a cheaper, less pyro-prone catalyst if I fall asleep and have one of those unfortunate dream sequences.

By the way, if anybody else reads this catalyst, please don't do anything silly with the knowledge contained therein. And for fucks sake, please DO NOT make what the person patenting it did at example 1 (what the fuck is desoxy-ephedrine anyway?)
microswitch
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-2-2007 at 19:59

Thanks for the interesting patent. I myself have been doing a lot of research for a ketone to amine reduction that doesnt involve Hg or Cyanide. This looks like a promising candidate with potential applications for the amine reduction.

\"Conspiracies hatched in hell do not have angels as witnesses,\" Hough said.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2007 at 23:04

Few thoughts on this.

A goodly percentage of patents never really pan out. They work to some degree, but are too low in yield, too tricky to use on an industrial scale, make too many side products, don't last long enough, and so on.

Copper usually comes in a distant third for hydrogenation reactions, after platinum metals and nickle (and sometimes cobalt). Test runs using some cheap and readily available compounds that compared this to more conventional options would be interesting.

This should also work using nickel sulfate in place of copper sulfate. You might even try a mixed Cu-Ni version, using nickel alloy coins dissolved in aerated not-too-strong sulfuric acid.

Go To Top