Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium sulfide and aluminium metal reaction
Foeskes
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-9-2017 at 02:25
Sodium sulfide and aluminium metal reaction

Yesterday, I bought some Na2S. Since I heard I was a strong base I wondered if it would act like NaOH on aluminium. So I made a concentrated solution and added aluminium foil. It reacted similar to aluminium and cold sodium hydroxide solution(although it heats up quick) and produces a really dark green solution. I'm assuming it's some kind of aluminium oxide sodium sulfide complex or something, since The reaction is similar to sodium hydroxide and aluminium producing NaAlO2(or NaAl(OH)4)
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 04:06

It's probably black, as opposed to green. However, a black substance mixed with a yellow substance will often look dark green, and since elemental sulfur seems like one likely product of this reaction, that could explain the yellow.

I'm not sure why you're not considering aluminum sulfide species? Sodium doesn't really like being bonded to sulfide, or the rest of the elements in that group, for that matter.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Foeskes
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 14:32

Maybe so, I didn't consider Aluminium sulfide because it seems to be be unstable in water and hydrolyzes forming H2S.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
4-9-2017 at 14:35

Go To Top