Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thermate
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 00:31

There are at least three standard thermate compositions in US military use, I believe they are designated TH1, TH2 and TH3.

I don't recall the compositions from my skull but I guess they can be found in PATR 2700 (Federoff's Encyclopedia of Explosives & Related Items) from US Army Picatinny Arsenal. This is available from MadHayyer FTP.

If you want to download this, from experience I can tell you, get the single zip file as some of the 1-file sets have individual files that are corrupted. Very frustrating to download 650 Mb and find that one of the volumes won't decompress.

PS: is Pyrotherm still classified or is this in the open lit yet?

It's a closely related composition.
egloskerry
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 01:05

That is the TH3 composition, according to wiki. I'll look up that book.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 02:27

You will want page T-189 of Volume 9 of PATR 2700

They give only the TH3 composition, but say it is best of the lot. And that the main use of the thermates is as igniters for magnesium incendiary bombs (the bomb casing itself is magnesium and is the actual main incendiary..

Er, you live in a dorm, so let's be sure you appreciate that you must not test this in the dorm...right?

I knew a fellow who tested thermite in his back yard and he melted a hole in a cement flagstone and singed off his eyebrows. FWIIW thermate compositions containing sulfur are designed to scatter on ignition. Like the Chinese fireworks say, light fuse, retire quickly!

If you are going to do this on campus, if I were you I would seek permission, and if that is not forthcoming move your experiment off campus to someplace safe and private.
egloskerry
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 11:18

That's exactly what I wanted to know. If it's designed to explode or expand to a large area in some way, it's not for me, at least not around this area. I'll stick with regular thermite for now.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 11:39

Just remember it's molten iron we are talking about, 2500 C, 705 Kcal/gram released and the white hot iron and alumina slag will stay hot for some time.

The military use thermite and thermate grenades to destroy critical equipment so that it does not fall into enemy hands. Crypto equipment, heavy weapons, sniper rifles etc. get the treatment at bug-out time.
egloskerry
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 20:56

If I just added the barium nitrate and left out the sulfur, would it still explode? I've read that the barium nitrate is used to lower the ignition temperature, and it also increases the thermal effects.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 21:35

It should be fine.

I still have that fused spot on the sidewalk where I lit off a pile of Ba(NO3)2 and MgAl...

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 22:07

I wouldn't say "explode" but the sulfur scatters it a bit.

I don't think you need the Ba nitrate, straight thermite is dramatic enough.

There are many other thermite mixtures besides iron oxide/Al.
egloskerry
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 22:12

I can't seem to find madhatter's FTP. Where is it?
Furch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 22:35

A bit off topic, perhaps, but speaking of dramatic effects of thermite, just take a look at the WTC 1 & 2 colapses. In one video sequence, you can actually see the molten iron pouring out of one of the windows. Though the latest research on the topic states that it was thermate used, not regular thermite.

Also, speaking of the fact that the molten iron produced in the thermite reaction stays hot for some time... In the rubble at ground zero, i.e. where WTC used to stand, in the basement they (those who helped rid the evidence from the crime scene) found pools of red to yellow hot molten iron no less than FIVE days after the collapse of the buildings.

- Furch

\"Those who say do not know, those who know do not say.\" -Lao Tzu
egloskerry
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 22:35

I have read about a few other mixtures but I have not been able to find specifics on composition. I've heard of Mg/teflon and a few others. Which would burn the hottest, and which would give the most dramatic display in terms of brightness?
egloskerry
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 22:37

Quote:
Originally posted by Furch
A bit off topic, perhaps, but speaking of dramatic effects of thermite, just take a look at the WTC 1 & 2 colapses. In one video sequence, you can actually see the molten iron pouring out of one of the windows. Though the latest research on the topic states that it was thermate used, not regular thermite.

Also, speaking of the fact that the molten iron produced in the thermite reaction stays hot for some time... In the rubble at ground zero, i.e. where WTC used to stand, in the basement they (those who helped rid the evidence from the crime scene) found pools of red to yellow hot molten iron no less than FIVE days after the collapse of the buildings.

- Furch
I'm aware of the whole debate on that, and I'd rather not start up a political discussion, since it's considered a conspiracy theory.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 13:52

Here's something that will enlighten.

I am removing this attachment as it is rather large and so anyone who did not download it in time (15 did) pls fetch it from FTP MadHatter site.

It'll be in the UPLOAD/Sauron folder

[Edited on 10-2-2007 by Sauron]
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 17:34

I don't hate Muslims and I still file WTC thermite/thermate in the "retarded conspiracy theories" bin. I'm sorry I didn't see this thread in time to save it. Anyone who wants to advance or debunk WTC controlled demolition will do it in Whimsy from this post forward. Any further posts in this thread advancing the theory, or even attempting to counter it, will be removed and may earn the poster a temporary ban on posting.

Furch, or anyone else who's considering it, please do not enter threads on scientific/technical topics in the main forums and then derail them into political or ideological topics.

Edit: the Whimsy thread has been started here, beginning with unionised's next post from this thread.

[Edited on 2-10-2007 by Polverone]

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 21:59

You need to PM MadHatter (the member here) and request access to the FTP site. You will need a good FTP client application.

MadHatter will (eventually, be patient) send you address details and user name/password. It's his private site, it does not belong to the forum and so access is a privilege and not a right.

Did you download the Sandia combustible metals file I uploaded above, while it was up overnight? It was you I put it up for. It was over 1 Mb and the forum upload limit is finite, so I did not want to leave it too long.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 00:14

OK, attachment is gone again. I suggest you take a minute and delete the posts concerning this (at least three of them) as they are now meaningless and clutter up the thread. Once you do I can delete this one as well.

Go To Top