Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A Pump capable of Pumping Exotic Fluids
Reboot
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-11-2017 at 17:09

When it's hard to win by the rules, change the rules. If you can't find a pump to handle cryogenic temps, then don't force the pump to handle cryogenic temps.

You could set up a system where a pump pushed relatively warm coolant into the dry ice (or whatnot) bath, let it do its thing in the condenser, then put the coolant through a heating bath to reach a temp where the pump could safely handle it again.

Greenpeace wouldn't give you any medals for it, but it could certainly be made to work.

A truly jury-rigged option would be a couple of buckets with drains on the bottom. Put the full bucket on a high shelf and wait for the coolant to syphon down to the lower bucket through the condenser. Then swap the buckets (put the now coolant-filled low bucket up high) and the process repeats.

If you'd like to get more exotic, look into the Tesla check valve. It has no moving parts and could probably be turned into a pump by rapidly shaking it back and forth.
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 16-11-2017 at 18:57

You know what pump would be an interesting choice for this sort of application, a Tesla Turbine. I unfortunately don't have access to a Tesla Turbine.

The problem of using your heating cooling idea, though creative it is, is that an enormous amount of dry ice will be required. I think I will settle on using a mixture of antifreeze and water to reach a temperature cool enough to condense butane but warm enough to not destroy the pump.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top