Pages:  1  ..  6    8
Author: Subject: Religion thought as science
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2018 at 07:16

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
However, they, I, and many others have indeed seen God back up the fact that Christ indeed was raised from the dead.

How?

I understand this probably got buried when the thread was in full swing, but I'm still very interested to hear an answer to this.

I appreciate the lengthy responses from others; they've been very interesting to read. However TVC seems to imply that he himself has personally seen evidence of the resurrection, and knows others that have as well. I was curious what this evidence was.

Unrelated: I've always found it interesting that people thank God when they survive a disaster, but don't condemn him for also causing said disaster.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2018 at 07:41

Quote: Originally posted by Radium212  
The video revulses me. "Science" is not some human construct. It is simply the name we give to the way which the universe and reality operates. To know science is to understand reality, and how it works. This is why science and religion are utterly incompatible. Religion views reality as separate from something else, something which acts contrary the laws of the universe. But they fail to grasp the idea that everything in existence falls within reality, and its constraints, even a God. Therefore, anything which is lacking in evidence and scientific basis is false.

T2 isn't a movie I would have elected to go see, but I'm not revulsed by it. I suppose later in time as the process continues, it seems plausible that higher life forms could very well evolve from primitive creatures such as ourselves, and as such could very well mimic a god for all intents and purposes with proprietary knowledge. So in that respect I guess there could be a god or something indistinguishable from it given enough time.

What would it be like to be so far along? What would motivate and what would seem insignificant? I guess that would rule out owning diamonds and heating mantles and last chemical ordered or watching people box and hit each other in the head for entertainment. What emotions would be left or what drives would sustain such an entity? Playing with a bag of little green army men and plastic animals on planet earth would get tiring I'm sure. If you had that much power what would you do with your time?

There is this line from a short story The Gentle Seduction ...
"And by then, it just didn't seem to matter."

[Edited on 22-1-2018 by Morgan]
woelen
Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-1-2018 at 14:11

Removed posts of ShadowWeirdo. This is a troll, a "reincarnation" of PhDChemist.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at http://www.oelen.net/science
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 22-1-2018 at 14:23

Highly surprising that this thread still lives.

Good that it does - it's a sign of Life beyond Chemisrty.

Being brought up a Catholic, questioning The Faith was certainly always frowned upon.

A thing i read today was a surprise. : the Catholic Credo (affirmation of faith) that we were forced to mouth as children was origionally thought up by a group of about 300 'bishops' under the rule of Constantine the Great (a roman Emperor) because the christians were warring between themselves, violently, about what the christian 'Faith' meant.

Being Emperor, it annoyed him, so he forced them to come up with a solution, and it stuck, to this day.

Religion/Politics. all same-same

Madness is thinking i'm not drunk.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2018 at 19:50

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
However, they, I, and many others have indeed seen God back up the fact that Christ indeed was raised from the dead.

How?

I understand this probably got buried when the thread was in full swing, but I'm still very interested to hear an answer to this.

I appreciate the lengthy responses from others; they've been very interesting to read. However TVC seems to imply that he himself has personally seen evidence of the resurrection, and knows others that have as well. I was curious what this evidence was.

Unrelated: I've always found it interesting that people thank God when they survive a disaster, but don't condemn him for also causing said disaster.

This isnt aimed at the resurrection, but the principle does actually sort of exist. There are substances (poisons, whatever you want to call them) that have been used, some still are being used apparently.
That when taken, are good enough to fool most medics into thinking the person is dead, one i know of is used in Voodoo, i think its called zombie juice.

As far as I am aware its a mix of box fish poison and some plant extracts. So in theory you could fake a resurrection to some degree.

Religion and science dont have to compete, I am a christian and I like science.
To me GOD, as in the one that created the universe, i know as the singularity. While I have a strong faith, men with white beards, dashing around and making the universe in six days....... dosnt wash with me.

But I see no reason why GOD dosnt exist, surely if your talking creation, then to a scientist God is the singularity, to other they call him God.

I do have a few problems with Darwin, but those are minor ones. I think on the whole he was right, but I also think some of the gentic mutation and how species evolve isnt as correct as he thought.

Teaching that God made the earth in 6 days, to me is just nonsense. But I dont have a problem with a creator, to me the creator dosnt have to be some kind of organism, it just has to be the thing that started it all.

As for the bible......Its a book written by man to control other men. At best it contains accounts of some things that might have taken place, but even then you got to take into account Chinese whispers with it.

So in a nutshell.....A creator of some description did exist (or we wouldnt be here), that creator was most likely whatever went bang.

Jesus probably existed, i think he was an exceptional man who tried to do good. I think the stories about him are blown out of all proportion.

No I dont think his mum was a virgin, unless you can find any other examples in man of the Daphina thing (i forgotten the term), where female Daphinia can give birth to live daughters without mating.

So yes I suspect Jesus was crucified, I however think he was a man, a good man but just a man. If he rose from the dead, then I am afraid I got to say I think he wasnt actually properly dead in the first place.

Son of God?? Hmm depends how you mean it, in Christianity we are all the children of God, so that would make him the son of.

The son of, as in God actually did the biz and Jesus is related to him...... No lets keep it real.

Noah and the flood..... The Flood, yes more than likely, the big boat maybe. Two of everything! Maybe a few of what was local but two of EVERYTHING living.... So many reasons this just isnt possible.

Finally back to creation..... If God made the earth in six days and all that lives in it.....
God made Dinosaurs then, they died out and we have proof of them, so how come we have no proof of alot of modern animals in the fossil record?

Surely if he made the lot, then you would find modern creatures in the fossil record as well ;).

Religion in general.
I dont think it matters what one you belong too, i think if you try to live a decent life and be decent to people then the label dosnt matter.

Religion to me is like ice cream, i prefer a certain flavor, but that dosnt mean I have anything against anyone who prefers another flavor. I dont have a problem with other religions, i do have a problem with individual people who use there flavor of preference to do bad things.

Dont blame vanilla ice cream for killing someone, just because the person doing the killing likes vanilla ice cream, I am sure people who like raspberry ripple have also killed people.

Worst of all is those that do bad things, and then claim they did it because they like Vanilla Ice cream, and if you also like Vanilla then you should also do bad things.

Keep the ice cream out of it, be upfront and admit you kill because your a killer.

One last word......Faith has its place, it can give comfort. But dont expect any faith to have all the answers. Also I find it arrogant, that man thinks he will also all the questions with science. I dont think man will ever answer everything, simply because while we might be the top of the tree, dosnt mean we are smart enough to answer all the questions.

Pages:  1  ..  6    8

Go To Top