Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: analytical machinery
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2009 at 15:57

Contact Perkin-Elmer directly; find them using Google. They would surely have spare parts for their products.
densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 14-10-2009 at 12:52

I looked at this thread because I have 3 old UVIS-205 absorbance detectors and some flow cells for them. It accepts a cuvette holder (which I don't have, but could fabricate) and can be persuaded via RS-232 to scan a range of wavelengths and output the absorbance values.

I'm very much more knowledgeable at electronics, computers, and mechanics than chemistry, which I'm learning. It would be fairly easy to come up with some control software which would accept commands and plot output from instruments like this, as long as the control codes were known.

I was intending to use the UVIS-205(s) as old fashioned scanning spectrophotometers to do quantitative analysis of things like gold and (with luck) platinum and palladium in solution. It would be truly wonderful if I could do those in the presence of much larger quantities of copper, nickel, and iron, any of which make visual color inspection impossible.

Does it make sense to try to make one of these units run for that sort of inorganic analysis?

As a tangent, how much interest would there be in trading expertise writing software for analytical instruments for chemical expertise? And is it worth my while to put one or two units up for auction (EBay or LabX, maybe) or are they so old that nobody would be interested?

benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 23-6-2012 at 18:00

I just bought a Hewlett Packard 5989 quadrapole mass spectrometer. I plan on interfacing it to a HP 5890 series II gas chromatograph that I bought last year. The HP 5989 is a fully functional mass spectrometer that can interface with a GC, HPLC or direct sample injection. At the moment, the system is capable of both electron impact and chemical ionization, I hope to add APCI once I get the instrument up and running. I will have the instrument in a few weeks and will begin to gradually sort out the details. It looks like this is going to take a few years to get going, due to my limited budget being on a graduate student stipend and the expense of mass spectrometers in general. I plan on having the 60 MHz NMR spectrometer I bought last year interfaced with with a computer within a month or two. Does anyone have a source of HP Chemstation that would run on MS DOS or Windows 95 that they could sell to me reasonably cheaply? I cant get away with strip chart recorders for mass spectroscopy.

[Edited on 24-6-2012 by benzylchloride1]

5989 Mass Spectrometer.jpg - 76kBHP 5890 GC.jpg - 91kB

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top