Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: amine salt formation in ketones as solvents
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 01:13
amine salt formation in ketones as solvents

in several procedures laying out the making of amine salts, especially with phosphoric acid, acetone is used as the solvent for freebase amines.

i was under the impression that acetone easily forms an imine with amines, which is even more stable when protonated.

isnt it thus likely that not the ammonium salt, but an iminium salt is isolated when using ketones as solvents?
Boomer
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 02:42

You mean the procedures where you dissolve the amine freebase in acetone, then add alcoholic acid solution (e.g. 1:5 conc. H2SO4:IPA) till either neutral or till precipitation stops. I guess acetone is used due to lower solubility of the fromed salts in it compared to alcohols, and I doubt an imine forms *that* easily if you keep it cold.

Silly me once tried to use acetone *only*. The freebase was waiting in one pot, already dissolved in acetone, while I tried to prepare the sulfuric solution by mixing acetone and conc H2SO4. It got hot and yellow quite fast. Congrats stupid, you just invented mesitylene!

OTOH it *does* work also with the FB in toluene, then adding the acid in alcohol. Easier than gassing, good for 'non-gassable' acids, and if you *have* to make the hydrochloride, you can simply buy alcoholic HCl.
Personally, when people insist on the HCl salt even though it's more hygroscopic, I suspect not chemical interest but a smoking habbit... :P
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 06:32

well thanks for your reply, but it wasnt really helpful. i already knew that acetone is a no-no with sulfuric acid. anyways, i was talking about phosphoric acid and acetone in particular.

the formation of an imine is much more likely when keeping the solution cold - ever mixed benzaldehyde with methylamine? the reaction is exothermic and thus favored if the generated heat is dissipated.
Sergei_Eisenstein
Hazard to Others

Mood: training

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 11:04

When you want to make a salt of an amine, you usually create the salt in a solvent that can dissolve it. Afterwards, you decrease the solubility by adding a second solvent in which the salt is insoluble. You should not choose solvents which can react with your product, and as such should not believe everything they put in the patent literature. In case the imine formation is a disturbing factor, the contaminant can still be washed out with e.g. ether.

damnant quod non intelligunt
contrived
Hazard to Self

Mood: skeptical

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 18:17

continuing this thread in a slightly different direction ...

suppose the amine is a heterocylce made from say cyclohexyldiamine with phenethyl at one end and phenyl or pyridyl at the other...its made in suspension that becomes cloudier as the reaction completes ..

the published procedure says to dilute with chlorinated solvent wash with base; wash with water .. then wash with 2N HCl solution .. save the organic layer, extract the aqueous layer with another aliquot of chlorinated solvent .. combine the organic layers and flash off the solvent collecting the HCl salt.

I did and no cigar .. I suspect the second alkylation reaction as not having gone as planned but I wanted to ask, is the final workup right?

The Sergei guy seems to be pretty hip...
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2007 at 03:06

Quote:
Originally posted by contrived .. then wash with 2N HCl solution ..

this is where you lost your product. byebye!
contrived
Hazard to Self

Mood: skeptical

[*] posted on 12-3-2007 at 22:11

Yeah, I hear that. Damned thing is I've read this approach with other syns. The HCl is made by washing the solution with the base in it with 2N HCl. An alternate is supposed to be wash the mixture with base and water and then strip down the solvent and treat the residues with con HCL. These two are for the cases where the HCl salt is totally soluble in the organic side. I wonder if there are other approaches to this situation.
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2007 at 06:12

i think you should read up on acid-base extraction. the reason why you failed is easily explained by chemical common sense. there are numerous suggestions about proper salt formation on this board - hit SEARCH to continue.

Go To Top