Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Suggest some experiments
ChrisWhewell
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-12-2009 at 08:42

Quote: Originally posted by quicksilver  
Gun-cotton is not as lightweight as it seems: remember the original Monroe experiments? That is another ester that MUST be free from acid. Be ultra cautious in how you store you experiments. No glass, metal, or even heavy plastic. I used to write to a guy who got very severely cut from a film can!!!! I shit you not! If ever using a screw top get a bit of Teflon plumber's tape and coat the threads. It will put the breaks on friction. Stoppers (rubber, cork) can be the source of enough friction to get it going.
Always think: "if the worst happens, what damage will be done". - And you will make the best decision. Never store materials where you may eat, etc. The high likelihood is that one day you may be working with a serious poison. get in the habit of using gloves. Buy Nytrele, they are a bit loose and don't rip that easy. They also have a fair chemical resistance.

I once saw a "firecracker" made from a cardboard tube and a fuse dipped in a NC lacquer silver acetylene blob, sheathed from the NC by a section of Aluminum foil. The whole thing weighed a few grams but was capable of the detonation "thump" you feel more than hear! I was very impressed. My point is never under estimate those materials that appear so simple. More thumbs, fingers & eyes are lost to TATP & flash than anything like CL20.
Be safe.

If you look at the balanced eqn and do the math for NG decomp, if it happens stoichiometrically, you get something like 1156 ml of gas from a 1 ml vol. of liquid NG, instantaneously. Yikes.

ChrisWhewell
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-12-2009 at 09:00

Quote: Originally posted by Formatik  
Even just a few guncotton balls made from the cotton balls can need several hours of work up .... Die Schiessbaumwolle (Nitrocellulosen) by Richard Escales, Die Schieß- und Sprengstoffe by Alfred Stettbacher.

Tenney Davis of MIT wrote a good book once. I always wondered about using chitin and chitosan as a nitration substrate, but never pursued it other than the conception stage, although surely some others must have. The azote in the molecule could possibly be of value in controlling the acid levels in the reaction product. A while back I filed a patent for isethionyl nitrate, but didn't pursue it as much as I would have liked to because I lack the lab resources, I filed it partly in hopes that the publication of the application might inspire others better equipped than I to do further work. Having an amino, carboxylate, or sulfonate group in a nitric ester molecule could afford opportunities for acid neutralization, but adds MW which undoubtedly slows down propagation speed, although the material may have potential as an initiator. I didn't investigate in depth any of the heavy metal salts of isethionyl nitrate but would do so if I had time and a proper facility, etc. Some are probably not stable but if one were, such as the Al, Mg salt (one that gives a reaction product with a lot of CFSE), it could prove to be more human or environmentally-friendly material than materials currently in use. When I used to go to indoor pistol ranges, I hated the smell and wondered how much lead those guys are breathing, same when I used a .22 calibre Ramset(TM) nail shooter to lay some plywood on concrete. It would be nice to have clean priming material. I still wonder about ammonium isethionyl nitrate's potential utility in such regard........ titanium salt ? Definitely not something for a beginner to do without some study and experienced supervision, but a potentially ripe area for development for a good team.

[Edited on 25-12-2009 by ChrisWhewell]
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 25-12-2009 at 09:42

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisWhewell  
Some are probably not stable but if one were, such as the Al, Mg salt (one that gives a reaction product with a lot of CFSE), it could prove to be more human or environmentally-friendly material than materials currently in use. When I used to go to indoor pistol ranges, I hated the smell and wondered how much lead those guys are breathing, same when I used a .22 calibre Ramset(TM) nail shooter to lay some plywood on concrete. It would be nice to have clean priming material. I still wonder about ammonium isethionyl nitrate's potential utility in such regard........ titanium salt ? Definitely not something for a beginner to do without some study and experienced supervision, but a potentially ripe area for development for a good team.

Patent number?

Also while a primary containing Al or Ti could theoretically find use in initiatory roles, I really doubt it would be adapted for use in small arms primers due to the abrasiveness of the alumina or titania that would invariably form; not good for the barrel at all.

ChrisWhewell
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-12-2009 at 10:48

publication 20060293384

you're right about the abrasiveness, I forgot for a moment that corundum is #9 on Moh's scale. tin or bismuth perhaps instead

[Edited on 25-12-2009 by ChrisWhewell]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top