Author: Subject: Recrystallization technique
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

mad.gif posted on 16-2-2018 at 19:02
Recrystallization technique

Just curious, but is the technique to recrystallize a compound to

1: dissolve compound in minimum amount of hot solvent
2: filter compound
3: slowly? Let the air evaporate the solution?

Or is it to dissolve the compound in a minimum amount of hot solution and then evaporate?

I've heard both methods being discussed when talking about recrystallizing.

Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 16-2-2018 at 19:17

Depends. The most common method that I use for recrystalization is to dissolve compound in hot solvent, filter, and then let it cool slowly.
Alternatively, i recrystallized dioxane by melting it and then placing in in a warm thermos.
The objective of recrystallization is to purify a compound. Crystals are brilliant at purity, and thus the best technique is to grow the largest crystals possible, which is done by cooling slowly.
I've also used the method of dissolving, filtering, and then evaporating. There are many other methods too. Depends on what the objective, compound, solvents, available equipment are.

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 16-2-2018 at 19:25

Most of the ones I have done involve COOLING the hot solution of whatever is being re-crystallized, this may reduce the solubility sufficiently that you can retrieve a large % without changing the volume of the solvent at all. Potassium nitrate has a steep solubility curve, this was a usual purification step in the old days. It had the additional feature that a couple of the primary contaminants had high solubility even in cold water and could be largely removed from the desired Potassium salt along with the filtrate.

Reducing the solvent through evaporation certainly works too, but takes longer or more equipment (vacuum chamber, pump, etc.

Also, you can tailor the crystal size somewhat by controlling how saturated the solution is, and how slowly or quickly it is cooled.

Similarly, a substance who's solubility in a particular solvent is drastically reduced by some other solvent freely miscible into the effective solvent may be recrystalized by addition of the second solvent- As Potassium nitrate may be dropped from solution in water by the slow addition of an alcohol, or PETN dissolved in acetone may be dropped by water.

Or a substance that requires a particular condition to be freely soluble, such as silver azide needing a fair concentration of ammonia to dissolve in ammonia water may be dropped from solution by heating the water and driving the ammonia off.

Similarly, Mercury fulminate dissolves in strong ammonia water, and some have dropped it from solution by slowly neutralizing the ammonia with a drip of glacial acetic acid.

Lots of ways to change solubilities and cause recrystalization from a solvent.

[Edited on 17-2-2018 by Bert]
WangleSpong5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 16-2-2018 at 19:59

Cooling very slowly at a constant rate will ensure larger crystals... I do this procedure to as low a temp as is practical. For example I put the solution in my bar freezer to cool as the main home freezer is far too cold.

Water should ideally be filtered or distilled if possible. Compound ahould also be as clean and pure as possible.

Look into dual solvent crystalisations too. I don't really know much about it tbh.

Hyperbole be thy name
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 17-2-2018 at 00:22

The first step is to look up the solubility of the substance you're recrystallising.

If there is a write-up, easiest to follow that.

The filtering step is just to remove any solid junk, so if you do not have any, that can be skipped.

Things with very steep solubility curves will require that the filter is kept hot too, or your product will crystallise in the filter (e.g. Na2SO4).

DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 17-2-2018 at 05:54

Leaving it to evaporate is often very slow (of course depends on the solvent) so if you can it's best to just do it by temperature change. Also, if you're going to put the solution in the freezer to precipitate as much out as possible, then it's also a good idea to remember to put your buchner funnel in for a chill too.

For substances where the solubility doesn't change much between near-boiling solvent and near-freezing solvent then you might have to do it the slow way (evaporation).
Reboot
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2018 at 06:26

Mixed solvent crystallizations can be an almost unbelievably handy technique.

Solubility table:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table

For instance, let's say you want to recrystallize potassium nitrate. If you look up the solubility, you see that there's a huge difference in solubility in water at 100 C (246 g/100 ml) vs. 0 C (13.3 g/100 ml.) So, you can just dissolve it in boiling water and then chill to crash out crystals.

But, let's say you wanted to recrystallize potassium NITRITE instead of nitrate. Looking at the solubility in water, it's 410 g/100 ml at 100 C, but still 279 g/100 ml at 0 C. We'll lose most of our product if we just try the classic 'dissolve and chill' method.

That's where mixed solvent crystallization can come to our rescue. Potassium nitrite is a very polar molecule, so what we're looking for is a solvent that is miscible with water (any amount of it can mix freely with any amount of water) AND is relatively non-polar (has a significant amount of hydrocarbon to its structure.)

An alcohol (methanol or ethanol) should work, but there are a ton of options. Potassium nitrite has a solubility of only around 0.3 g/100 ml in ethanol, so let's try that.

As you add the ethanol to the saturated solution, the alcohol mixes into the water, making it on average less polar, and less able to dissolve the highly polar nitrite salt. So, the solubility of the nitrite in the solution goes down and it starts to crystalize out.

Mixed solvent crystallizations can be used to crash out things that don't have a steep solubility curve (like nitrite in water) but if you know what your contaminant is, they can also be tailored to give a cleaner crystallization by picking a second solvent that DOES dissolve your known contaminant. For instance, you were purifying an organic salt, you might use a relatively non-polar second solvent to not only reduce the solubility of the polar organic salt, but increase the solubility of relatively non-polar side products.

Go To Top