Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A request of sorts: Corning hot plates
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 12:40
A request of sorts: Corning hot plates

If any could be so inclined to take a good picture of inside of an older style corning hot plate, I just scored an old 353 stirrer and have noticed the design strongly indicates it is a common mode frame format, so It should be easily turned into a hot plate and stirrer.

I just need to know how they implemented the heating element in the design.

[Edited on 6-4-2018 by XeonTheMGPony]
Tungsten.Chromium
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 12:49

I have an old corning PC-351 with pictures that can be found in the thread below. If you need more let me know and I can snap some when I get home today.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=63097#...

Prosit!
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 13:47

Yes please a detailed pic of the heater element is what I'm after, want to see if I can fabricate some thing for it!

Then will use a dimmer switch rather then the infinity switch they seem to be using on the factory model.

And thanks for the link, so far seems the fan is the only real difference other then the heating element lol

[Edited on 6-4-2018 by XeonTheMGPony]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 17:27

I still have some broken stir and hot plates, so if you want a hotplate to scavenge for parts, I am happy to sell them cheap for parts or salvage. I know I have some PC-351 and others, you could just combine parts from a few to build one or two, or scavenge parts from one for another. I think most just have a dirty or broken control switch or knob. The heating elements and stirrer motors rarely seem to fail.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 17:45

it is a very nice shaded pole, was surprised they used such a simple system, would certainly be interested in the hot plate top as got the stirrer only but seeing it now I can "upgrade it lol.

P5040004.JPG - 1.4MBP5040006.JPG - 1.3MBP5040005.JPG - 1.4MB
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 18:33

Does this help? Corning pc-162 and a larger one (forgot number) ask Dr Bob. But I have had three moments to dissect, photo and reassemble a couple. Notes and order parts, but none in tip top both heating/stirring. The one I use just spins stuff slow after a good cleaning, but I'm 90% sure it was dropped once and needs a frame tweak. Cast metal may accept shims better than flex. We shall see when I get back to it. Lots of pic of circuit boards so I don't have to do that again.

IMAG0174.jpg - 1.3MB IMAG8832.jpg - 869kB

IMAG8834.jpg - 707kB IMAG0169.jpg - 958kB

IMAG0172.jpg - 553kB

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 19:16

That does it indeed, they used a very simple NiCrFe wrapped mica board! and I do happen to have all that stuff on hand!

The bottom stamped Aluminium plate though, but at least know what I'm in for now!

Quick! to the parts toaster!

Go To Top